What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stumped with photos

Dobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
O.K. Used Itunes and sync'd some photos to Ipad from computer. Now, trying to get rid of them or send them back to the computer. Not working with what I have done. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dobie - the native photo app of the iPad can be an absolute pain - if you care to search the forum, there are plenty of threads/posts on this somewhat irritating program (a number of which I've been a contributor!).

SO, let me just concentrate on your potential issue, i.e. images that you have imported onto the iPad from your computer - these pics CANNOT be deleted on the iPad - they need to be removed from your sync options on your computer and when done will be deleted from your iPad when you do a new sync - YES, a pain! My solution is to setup a folder or two on my computer, then add images that I desire on the iPad, followed by doing a selective sync of ONLY those folders - thus, your images can be removed on your computer and a new sync will delete them from your iPad. Hope that this gets your started - good luck! :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Scratch all the below. I've attempted to use this several times now, with restarts and such to make sure things were working properly. It does not work. It does introduce some minor bugs into how Photo storage appears, but restarting the device or just Settings clears this up.

Though I have not tested it, there does seem to be a way to delete synced albums from the iPad without iTunes. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind.

One, it is all or nothing. You're going to delete all you synced albums.
Two, the pictures will probably get synced back the next time you sync with iTunes, unless you change those settings.

Give that, it's probably better to do things the way giradman suggests.

However, if you want to be the guinea pig for the other method, here's how you do it.

Go to Settings > Usage and wait for the Storage list to populate. Tap on the Photos & Camera list item. Three categories of photos and the space the take up will be listed. Swipe the Photo Library option, and then tap the red Delete button that appears.

WARNING: I have not tested this, and brief search on the internet did not turn up any related articles. So do at your own risk. If you have important pictures in the Camera Roll or Photo Stream, or anywhere else in the Photos app I do not recommend trying this.

I'm going to research it some more, in hopes of finding an answer without having to delete and re-sync my 1.5 GB of synced albums.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - interesting - I'll be waiting for your testing results - would be great to manipulate these imported images w/ another option! Dave :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi TP - interesting - I'll be waiting for your testing results - would be great to manipulate these imported images w/ another option! Dave :)

Done. Didn't work. I updated my previous post. Then I went back to the thread I over-opptimistically started and updated that too.

*disappointed*

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Done. Didn't work. I updated my previous post. Then I went back to the thread I over-opptimistically started and updated that too.

*disappointed*

Sorry - hate when that happens! Thanks for trying to find an alternate - Dave :)

OP
D

Dobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still Trying

O.K., appreciate responses to my earlier question, but sorry, I'm still not quite there. Sorry for my limited knowledge with this thing.

I scanned many photos from old albums to my P.C. (No problem) Then, bought my Ipad2. Then, went to sync with Itunes. Presto. Somehow, my photos disappeared from the P.C. and now are on Ipad. (Should be no problem right? Just copy them back to the P.C.. WRONG)

With work involved, I hope I can somehow get them back on the P.C. and really don't need them all on the Ipad.

Apparently, I hope understood right, there are Apps that will allow me to do this. But, not sure which one will do it for sure so if someone answered this my appologies. I'm looking for an easily understood, if is such a thing, way to do this.

Darn, these little rascals can be frustrating.

Thanks.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, Dobie:

I've merged the new thread you started today into this one. Making more than one post not only fragments the conversation and makes it hard to follow - it's against the forum rules. Please keep any follow-ups, discussion or updates on this topic to this thread; do not start another. Thanks for your understanding.

I don't use iTunes to put photos on my iPad, so I can't be much help there (didn't even know that photos would disappear from iTunes when you move them to the iPad - that sounds weird).

Anyway - have you looked into emailing the photos back to yourself or maybe using an online storage (such as Dropbox) so you can access the photos from your computer (once you've out them into the online storage)?

That's about all I can suggest for this. I just wanted to tell you about the merged threads. Good luck with your issue.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, Dobie:

...................I don't use iTunes to put photos on my iPad, so I can't be much help there (didn't even know that photos would disappear from iTunes when you move them to the iPad - that sounds weird).

Anyway - have you looked into emailing the photos back to yourself or maybe using an online storage (such as Dropbox) so you can access the photos from your computer (once you've out them into the online storage)? .................
Marilyn

Hi again Dobie - like Marilyn, I'm also somewhat confused about your statement that the images on your PC 'disappeared' after you did an iPad sync? I hope that you had a backup of your scanned photos?

Now, there are plenty of Apple KB support articles to help - check the one HERE for starters (there are others that will pop up w/ some googling).

For myself as mentioned in my previous post, when I sync w/ iTunes, I choose 'selected folders' and have only the ones 'ticked off' participate in the sync - as you can see in the attached screen capture, there is a folder called 'iPad Photos' - you can copy images into that folder (and even make sub-folders - see the link given), and w/ that single folder (or several if you want?) selected, only those images will be sent to your iPad - to delete synced images from your device, you will need to 'untick' the folder(s) and re-sync.

Now if indeed you have lost all of the images on your PC, then restoring them to your hard drive is problematic (not even sure what a wired sync would do?). There are certainly multiple choices, especially using 'wireless' options - as suggested emailing and/or using Dropbox (or another Cloud technology) would work (not sure 'how many' photos you have?). I've also used an app called PhotoSync (check HERE) - it resides on your PC and on your iPad but permits easy transfer of photos.

Well, let me stop @ this point - please post back your progress and hope that you can transfer your images back onto your PC - good luck! :)

PhotosiTunes.JPG

OP
D

Dobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Certainly glad I'm pretty well retired considering hours spent on this fiasco. O.K. I got my photos back onto my P.C. Had googled the question also, and someone suggested the App, Photo Transfer. It cost $3.00, but well worth it. Had trouble getting the Ipad and PC communicating. Then, unplugged my router, and Presto, worked fine.

Now, all I have to do is try and understand how to delete those photos from the Ipad that were sync'd from the P.C. without screwing something else up. Seems rediculous they won't let you delete them right within the program. Hope they work on this for future updates????

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, you won't want to hear this - but you cannot delete photos off the iPad that were put on the iPad via iTunes. You must use iTunes to "uncheck" them and then re-sync.

See, now, why I don't use iTunes to "play" with my pictures? :)

And, it's been this way since the advent of the iPad (and, I believe, the iPhone) first came out. So, I don't see it changing any time soon. Thus, people find alternate ways to manage their photos...

Marilyn

OP
D

Dobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Boy you're encouraging. Lol. I did finally figure out how to delete them thru ITunes. So now back to square one, but not quite as frustrated. Thanks for suggestions all.

sen_ovung

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iFunbox instead of iTunes. I can magage my files better in there.
Easily delete photos or add photos without sync. Drop and drag works too. Try it. Although iTunes must be installed for iFunbox to work since it uses iiTunes servies for connecting to Apple Devices. Cheers

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
D

Dobie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Sen and all for helpful comments. Wish I had found this forum right after got the Ipad. Would have saved some frustrations. One learns a lot just browsing thru the various threads. Also, like the positive approach with not a bunch of "wise guys" as some forums I've seen have. Keep up the good work all.

Most reactions

Latest posts