What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Study Finds Owners of iPhone 5s and iPad 4 Consume the Most Data

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
iphone-ipad-data-usage-620x400.jpg

According to a recent study from network technology firm JDSUStudy, the most data-demanding device in 2013 was the iPhone 5, but iPhone 5s users are demanding 20% more data than iPhone 5 users in developed markets, and 50% more data in developing markets. Dr. Michael Flanagan, CTO of Mobility for the Network and Service Enablement business segment of JDSU and author of the study said the following:

Each new generation of iPhone has resulted in increases in data consumption of between 20-40 percent — even today when data use is common. Though interestingly, users of the more economically-priced iPhone 5c consume data in the range between that of the iPhone 4s and 5 users.

JDSU’s 2013 data consumption study tracked over one million subscribers in a “Tier 1″ European market and another one million subscribers in another developing market which was not named. More than 150 different devices, including smartphones and tablets, were monitored for a 24-hour period to analyze the average data use.

When it comes to the iPad, the fourth-gen iPad has replaced the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 in the top tablet spot in the studied developed market while the iPad mini yields lower data consumption rates. Compared to 2nd and 3rd generations iPads, iPad mini users consume only 80% of the downlink data.

Source: iPhoneforums

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's cause iOS has more use and has more and better apps, better managements in music, movies, and other things.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ha!!! I DO like using my 4 more than my iPad 2. I keep the iPad 2 in my purse and use it for work email. I keep 4 at home, it has never left the house. Although I might have to take to the apple store as for some reason it has been very slow to charge lately. I have until 12/2014 to do so as that's when AppleCare will expire lol.

Sent from my WiFi Only Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using Tapatalk HD

vespa5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This isn't a surprised. Since I am an owner of a Samsung Galaxy S3, I use it primarily as a phone and a hotspot (after rooting it) so I can surf the Web on my iPad Air (who needs LTE when you have a rooted Android phone?) - I can see why iPhone users consume the most data. There should be a stat of how much data is being consumed by Android phone owners who have rooted their phones (like myself). I have Sprint and have unlimited data and my iPad Air is constantly linked to it via Wifi. I have surpassed gigs upon gigs of data via my rooted Android phone. I'm sure there are plenty of other non-iPhone users who have the same ordeal. Same goes for post-JailBreak iPhone owners too.

Most reactions

Latest posts