What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Student input on how to teach with the iPad

amdgphysics

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may sound weird, but since we're testing the iPad in the classroom at my school, I would like to get student input on how to best serve them with this new technology. So I am encouraging them to post here about what they thought about how I tried to use the iPad in class and how they think I might better meet them where they really learn. If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to add to our class discussion!
Now class, this is your chance to change how I teach. You can even post while we're in the middle of the lesson or at the end of class (I'll try to always leave a little free time for this).
AMDGPhys

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

There are many teachers here utilizing their iPad in the classroom.

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi AMD...Welcome to the forum!

I would be very interested to see the comments and feedback by your students here on the forum! What a great idea to encourage your students to join and give you comments as well as learned a few other things while cruising around the various topic discussions.

Students: Great opportunity here to work with your teacher in fine tuning your learning, discussions while also utilizing such a great device. We want to hear from you!

Best wishes and Enjoy! :)

mlaurencg4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fantastic initiative! Perhaps you could further define your student population (elementary, secondary, etc.). From a retired teacher who has used digital technologies in education for 40 years.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A few suggestions (from a student that owns an iPad)
Parental controls
-Put some one, but be flexible. For example, some web based apps need to be rated 17+ although it does not mean they are bad, it just means that the web is a big place.
-Restrict the AppStore although allow students to request apps to be installed.
Handy Apps
-iTunesU (depending where you're deploying the iPads)
-iBooks (I guess)
Other things
-ask students only to use the default wallpapers. or else you'll see lockscreens with funny faces or women
(depending what grade they are in)
-Make sure they don't jailbreak it.

Just my suggestions. Please say what grade you are testing them in.

Sent from K48

Chapslick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So far I really like the idea of the iPad during class. The only thing I'm worried about is people getting distracted during class. If there's a way to patch that I think it'd be great. Otherwise the iPad is an awesome new learning innovation in my opinion.
EMS

Last edited:
OP
A

amdgphysics

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to those who have asked questions. I jumped the gun on the thread by a few days. The class just got their iPads this week so they are just now joining the forum. The class is junior year physics. It's a somewhat small class (17) but a bright one. In our first couple of days, we have mostly been getting acquainted with the new technology, but I want to integrate the lessons more and more as we go. Thanks for all the suggestions!

OP
A

amdgphysics

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the idea of asking for requests for apps to install. That's one of the things this thread ought to help with. The AppStore is currently locked down from student use. The iTunesU app is awesome by the way. It has so much. I don't control web restrictions myself so that will be an ongoing issue I am sure but hopefully our IT department will be responsive to requests on that front. Have you tried the textbooks on the new iBooks and if so what do you think?

OP
A

amdgphysics

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by educational apps site? I am very new to this.

sullivanphys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
amdgphysics said:
This may sound weird, but since we're testing the iPad in the classroom at my school, I would like to get student input on how to best serve them with this new technology. So I am encouraging them to post here about what they thought about how I tried to use the iPad in class and how they think I might better meet them where they really learn. If anyone else has suggestions, please feel free to add to our class discussion!
Now class, this is your chance to change how I teach. You can even post while we're in the middle of the lesson or at the end of class (I'll try to always leave a little free time for this).
AMDGPhys

I like reading on the iPad. It is easy to highlight and take notes

salehe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the online physic book that we used today in class. In my opinion it is better than our current textbook in a few ways.

Maurerb01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It was easier for me to concentrate while reading. So I liked it. BXM

Last edited:

Chapslick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reading on the iPad is much easier than normal book reading. It's easy to highlight and take notes on the book.
EMS

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts