What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck on iPad2

Ebenist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got an iPad2 (special birthday prezzie!) I'm stuck on 2 things:
a) Using the Camera Connection Kit, SD Card bit, I get nothing at all when I plug in to the iPad.
b) I got the Kindle reader app. but cannot get any of the books in Mobi format, downloaded from Gutenberg Press, into it. No problem though with books bought from Amazon. They are the same books that I've sucessfully loaded onto the Kindle DX.
I'm probably doing something stupid!, can anybody put me right please?
Ebenist

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to the forum.

a) The camera connection kit will only read a properly formatted SD card. Make sure you've formatted the card in the camera. If you add pictures to the card via the computer make sure to put them in the DCIM folder with 8 character names and the proper extension. There are a few off-brand cameras that may not work.

b) The Kindle app is more limited than the Kindle device. It will not read the .mobi files (last time I checked). Maybe I'm wrong and you're just not aware that you can side load books using iTunes' File Sharing feature. If not, there are a few other options (that I can think of off the top of my head).

- 1) Try changing the file extenuation from .mobi to .azw. I've believe this has worked for me in the past, but I'm not sure.

- 2) Use a different reader. Stanza will read .mobi files just fine. You can use Calibre to convert .mobi files to ePub that most other ebook readers will handle, including iBooks and Stanza.

- 3) Like the Kindle store, the iBooks Store contains most of the Gutenberg project, and they are free. You can search for and download them into iBooks.

- 4) Most titles on the Gutenberg site can be downloaded as ePubs. Re-download them and use them in another book reader that supports the format; iBooks, Stanza, Nook, and most other's.

OP
E

Ebenist

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Un-stuck now

Hi Twerppoet,
1, you were spot on. I formatted the SD card. It now works like a charm.
2. Before I continue up the "Kindle" path (changing the file extension) I'm going to try both Stanza and iBooks, using re-downloads, as you suggested, and see which I like best. I'll let you know how I get on in a day or two.
I'm really grateful for the good advice. I'd not have got there on my own.
Best wishes
John

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Glad to help.

I prefer iBooks for reading, but Stanza is handy to have due to it's flexibility. If you used to read eBooks on a Palm, older DRM books from eReader or Fictionwise can be associated with Stanza so you can read those books again.

Most reactions

Latest posts