What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stuck on Choose Backup

BigDan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought an iPad on eBay recently. It seems to be functioning in the little that I've used it.

I actually got it a couple weeks ago and did some initializing at the beginning. Not sure how far I got. But today when I tried to use it I can't get past the "Choose Backup" screen. It just keeps processing but not doing anything.

I'm signed into iCloud fine I think, and my wifi is also fine.

Is there anything I can do? I can even reset if that's necessary since I haven't actually done anything in the iPad yet. But not even sure how to do that.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The screen you've mentioned appears when you set up an iDevice, after signing in to the iCloud ID. That would mean in your case that it has been erased completely, is already signed in to iCloud, and wants to know which backup to select for setting it up.

When you received this iPad, did you have to set it up completely? Which screen did you get when you turned it on for the first time? If it was something different than the setup screen, the iPad was still connected to the previous owner's iCloud ID.

To see if this iPad is connected to your iCloud ID, sign in to www.icloud.com. Use a browser on a computer to look at the site. After logging in, go to Settings, and select "My Devices". If you see this iPad listed there, you're signed in to iCloud on this device.

OP
B

BigDan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks!

Yes it seems I'm connected to iCloud. What next?

When I first received this iPad it didn't have anyone else's stuff on it. It had been reset. I had given my iCloud login I think, as well as whatever else it would've asked me for. Not sure what the status of it was when I last used it, ie had I ever gotten it ready to use or not. I'd guess not.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When you’ve entered your iCloud ID, the iPad asks if you wish to restore it from a backup, or set it up as new. If you never owned an iPad, set it up as new. If you had an iPad, and you wish to get that device’s information to the one you’re setting up, select a backup to restore from.
So: if you have to set it up as new, there should be a button to get back to the previous screen, somewhere at the top left, afaik.

Jeffrey B.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

The screen you've mentioned appears when you set up an iDevice, after signing in to the iCloud ID. That would mean in your case that it has been erased completely, is already signed in to iCloud, and wants to know which backup to select for setting it up.

When you received this iPad, did you have to set it up completely? Which screen did you get when you turned it on for the first time? If it was something different than the setup screen, the iPad was still connected to the previous owner's iCloud ID.

To see if this iPad is connected to your iCloud ID, sign in to www.icloud.com. Use a browser on a computer to look at the site. After logging in, go to Settings, and select "My Devices". If you see this iPad listed there, you're signed in to iCloud on this device.

Jeffrey B.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I logged into iCloud, and deleted an old iPad that was stolen. I could also see that the iPad I am trying to setup is active on my iCloud account. Still hung up at Choose Backup, so I cannot actively use my iPad. At one point I received a message that this iPad is not compatible with things in my account. Does this mean I will lose my photos etc.? Anything else I can do?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I logged into iCloud, and deleted an old iPad that was stolen. I could also see that the iPad I am trying to setup is active on my iCloud account. Still hung up at Choose Backup, so I cannot actively use my iPad. At one point I received a message that this iPad is not compatible with things in my account. Does this mean I will lose my photos etc.? Anything else I can do?
Try setting it up without backup. Make sure it’s up to date. If the backup was made with an iOS version later than the one installed on the iPad you’re setting up now, you can’t use it at first. As soon as the iPad is up to date (the latest software is 11.4.1), erase it, and set it up again. This time, it should be possible to use one of your backups.

Most reactions

Latest posts