What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stretching that battery power

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
how do i make the battery on my ipad2 last longer?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that most Members feel that keeping the screen brightness down is probably the most significant way of extending the iPad's battery life. If you're working off-line, then turn off 3G and WiFi will clearly help somewhat too. But the battery life is so good, that I never bother with any of these - I bought a handful of iPad chargers and have some at home - one for the office and one for the bedroom, one for my workplace and one for my car - so I keep the iPad charged up most of the time.

The only time it's on battery is when I'm at Starbucks - like now....

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah - maybe the OP means that they're looking to extend the lifetime of the iPad battery - i.e. the time before it needs to be replaced!!

Tim

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How long is it lasting now?
hard to say exactly,i find i am charging it most days,always concerned about saving energy as we have so many things that need charging,just wondered if there are some tweaks that will save energy.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How long is it lasting now?
hard to say exactly,i find i am charging it most days,always concerned about saving energy as we have so many things that need charging,just wondered if there are some tweaks that will save energy.

Well ~ most will tell you to save on battery life to not have the brightness so high. I love it high, though! So mine is always high. And close all your apps, but I find that is minimal.

Read those links and see if they help!

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok,thanks both,il check that screen brightness.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never read the titles!! :D

OK - the iPad battery charger consumes about 10W.
An average car/auto has a power rating of about 80-100kW - let's say 100 kW to make the math easy.

So, your car consumes energy 10,000 times faster than an iPad charger.

Moral of the story, if you want to save energy walk or cycle and don't worry too much about the iPad...

Tim

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never read the titles!! :D

OK - the iPad battery charger consumes about 10W.
An average car/auto has a power rating of about 80-100kW - let's say 100 kW to make the math easy.

So, your car consumes energy 10,000 times faster than an iPad charger.

Moral of the story, if you want to save energy walk or cycle and don't worry too much about the iPad...

Tim
point taken,but of course modern households are full of things that need charging so every little helps,e.g in mine,carpet sweeper,toothbrush,shaver,2 mobile phones,mbp,battery charger for magic trackpad,ipad2,camera.....god!!! wish i hadn't started this thread,no wonder my bills are so high.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even so, it's not those that are going to cause the problem it's the washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher - each take about 3kW when they're heating water, drying etc - several hundred times that of the iPad charger. And there's the 'fridge, freezer - which are on 24/7 - that plasma TV. What about the microwave - even that's 900 W when on - OK, not for long, I accept.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that it makes sense to focus on the 'big ticket' items first of all - the iPad charger is 'in the noise'

Tim

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yes true,of course it doesn't help that here in britain we,re being royally ripped off for energy

miket5au

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes true,of course it doesn't help that here in britain we,re being royally ripped off for energy

As soon as you have to pay and not your parents is when it gets expensive :) I remember being at Uni in England and the power bills were scary! I took it for granted that I could use my computer all the time and heat the flat until the first electricity and gas bills arrived! Winters are cold when you don't want to use the heating :(

Most reactions

Latest posts