What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Streaming music to Audio Receiver

Dr.BAY

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am interested in various ways of streaming audio from my iPad to my audio receiver.

I was going to buy Apple TV for this purpose. However, Apple TV only outputs HDMI. Although my receiver has HDMI inputs, it will not send audio or video originating from HDMI to the "second-room" system. My main goal is to stream audio from the iPad for music in my other rooms. (I know I can buy a unit to down-convert HDMI to analog, but this gets costly.)

My understanding is that Airport Express will also (in Nov.) allow streaming of audio from the iPad, and it outputs analog signals, which would work with my system.

However, I am wondering if there are any other viable options. For example, has anyone had success streaming from the iPad to a Bluetooth receiver attached to an audio system? What is the realistic range using Bluetooth?

Specifically, I am looking at the Marantz IS301 iPod wireless dock. The base unit can receive a Bluetooth signal from any device (laptop, smartphone, etc.) and it would also allow me to use my iPod wirelessly. However, I can't seem to find anyone who has tried it with an iPad.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want something like the Belkin Bluetooth->3.5mm receiver, but one that allows volume control via the iPad

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for an "apple tv" like device but only does audio

an apple audio only device would be perfect. I already have the backbone wired in the whole house for our stereo.

gjperera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.gilsmethod.com
I am interested in various ways of streaming audio from my iPad to my audio receiver.

I was going to buy Apple TV for this purpose. However, Apple TV only outputs HDMI. Although my receiver has HDMI inputs, it will not send audio or video originating from HDMI to the "second-room" system. My main goal is to stream audio from the iPad for music in my other rooms. (I know I can buy a unit to down-convert HDMI to analog, but this gets costly.)

My understanding is that Airport Express will also (in Nov.) allow streaming of audio from the iPad, and it outputs analog signals, which would work with my system.

However, I am wondering if there are any other viable options. For example, has anyone had success streaming from the iPad to a Bluetooth receiver attached to an audio system? What is the realistic range using Bluetooth?

Specifically, I am looking at the Marantz IS301 iPod wireless dock. The base unit can receive a Bluetooth signal from any device (laptop, smartphone, etc.) and it would also allow me to use my iPod wirelessly. However, I can't seem to find anyone who has tried it with an iPad.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Apple TV Outputs to HDMI AND Optical Audio...so if you output the optical to your receiver, I think you'll get what you want.

Last edited:

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want something like the Belkin Bluetooth->3.5mm receiver, but one that allows volume control via the iPad

I have the Belkin Bluetooth and it allows you to adjust volume on the iPad (at least with ios 4.2 and Airplay). Airplay is kind of interesting. When you open Airplay on the iPad, you can select to send the audio to the Apple TV, the Belkin Bluetooth, or the iPad speaker.

Lately, I've been using Remote with a computer or the Apple TV 2 rather than the Bluetooth receiver. It just has more options.

By the way, the Apple TV 2 also has an optical output.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still hoping for an "apple tv" like device but only does audio

an apple audio only device would be perfect. I already have the backbone wired in the whole house for our stereo.

I just posted a link to exactly that...look up 2 posts.

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw the optical audio out when I set up the apple tv, however for those with an old preamp (paired with an old tube amp which sounds too good to ever replace) there is no optical input.

I would love to find a device that utilizes the airplay but has two (left and right) rca plugs

it is crazy to think they can sell me a device to run a tv for $100, but the airport express which does more then I need (I already have the wireless configured, printing etc) and now another wireless router to messwith.

and I'm sorry, but bluetooth sound sucks, I get much better sound with a wire

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I saw the optical audio out when I set up the apple tv, however for those with an old preamp (paired with an old tube amp which sounds too good to ever replace) there is no optical input.

I would love to find a device that utilizes the airplay but has two (left and right) rca plugs

it is crazy to think they can sell me a device to run a tv for $100, but the airport express which does more then I need (I already have the wireless configured, printing etc) and now another wireless router to messwith.

and I'm sorry, but bluetooth sound sucks, I get much better sound with a wire

OK, since you are obviously unwilling to read everything in this very short thread I will post the link again...
iHome: Discover: AirPlay

As for Bluetooth audio...you must have never used current bluetooth....I use it in my car all the time and it sounds great.

Last edited:

kriskiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm not trying to be difficult but the Ihome airplay is a speaker. I'm am hoping for something no bigger than then apple tv but plugs into an existing home stereo with a left and right rca plug

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i'm not trying to be difficult but the Ihome airplay is a speaker. I'm am hoping for something no bigger than then apple tv but plugs into an existing home stereo with a left and right rca plug

One of those pics looks like it has audio out.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I have the Belkin Bluetooth and it allows you to adjust volume on the iPad (at least with ios 4.2 and Airplay).

How did you put iOS 4.2 on your iPad?

This explains it:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/10619-upgrade-4-2-beta-without-registered-udid.html

However, 4.2 should be officially released soon (and iTunes will update your iPad).

Peter1966

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess this doesn't exactly fit the requirement, but this is what I do.

I have an Apple TV 160Gb which is synced with iTunes and has all my music on it.
I also have an Airport Express connect to my hi-fi.

Using the "Remote" app I can stream from the Apple TV to the Airport Express, using the iPad as the control device.

The biggest benefit with this I have found is that once I have the music playing I can turn the Ipad off (or do something else on it). With the current OS I think you will find streaming directly from the iPad will be a pain as you will effectively lock up the iPad for music only.

I hear rumours that the 'old' Apple TV will not work with the new features planned for 4.2. But the Airport Express will.

Bottom line is that IMHO streaming from the iPad itself is not the bast use of the device, better to use it to control other devices / servers.

Most reactions

Latest posts