Streaming music to Audio Receiver

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dr.BAY, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Dr.BAY

Dr.BAY
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I am interested in various ways of streaming audio from my iPad to my audio receiver.

I was going to buy Apple TV for this purpose. However, Apple TV only outputs HDMI. Although my receiver has HDMI inputs, it will not send audio or video originating from HDMI to the "second-room" system. My main goal is to stream audio from the iPad for music in my other rooms. (I know I can buy a unit to down-convert HDMI to analog, but this gets costly.)

My understanding is that Airport Express will also (in Nov.) allow streaming of audio from the iPad, and it outputs analog signals, which would work with my system.

However, I am wondering if there are any other viable options. For example, has anyone had success streaming from the iPad to a Bluetooth receiver attached to an audio system? What is the realistic range using Bluetooth?

Specifically, I am looking at the Marantz IS301 iPod wireless dock. The base unit can receive a Bluetooth signal from any device (laptop, smartphone, etc.) and it would also allow me to use my iPod wirelessly. However, I can't seem to find anyone who has tried it with an iPad.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Stefx

Stefx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm also interested in this...bumping

3. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
  4. Stefx

Stefx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I want something like the Belkin Bluetooth->3.5mm receiver, but one that allows volume control via the iPad

5. kriskiter

kriskiter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I'm still hoping for an "apple tv" like device but only does audio

an apple audio only device would be perfect. I already have the backbone wired in the whole house for our stereo.

6. gjperera

gjperera
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Apple TV Outputs to HDMI AND Optical Audio...so if you output the optical to your receiver, I think you'll get what you want.

#6 gjperera, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  7. rkelac

rkelac
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have the Belkin Bluetooth and it allows you to adjust volume on the iPad (at least with ios 4.2 and Airplay). Airplay is kind of interesting. When you open Airplay on the iPad, you can select to send the audio to the Apple TV, the Belkin Bluetooth, or the iPad speaker.

Lately, I've been using Remote with a computer or the Apple TV 2 rather than the Bluetooth receiver. It just has more options.

By the way, the Apple TV 2 also has an optical output.

#7 rkelac, Nov 11, 2010
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    I just posted a link to exactly that...look up 2 posts.

9. kriskiter

kriskiter
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I saw the optical audio out when I set up the apple tv, however for those with an old preamp (paired with an old tube amp which sounds too good to ever replace) there is no optical input.

I would love to find a device that utilizes the airplay but has two (left and right) rca plugs

it is crazy to think they can sell me a device to run a tv for $100, but the airport express which does more then I need (I already have the wireless configured, printing etc) and now another wireless router to messwith.

and I'm sorry, but bluetooth sound sucks, I get much better sound with a wire

#9 kriskiter, Nov 11, 2010
  10. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    OK, since you are obviously unwilling to read everything in this very short thread I will post the link again...
    iHome: Discover: AirPlay

As for Bluetooth audio...you must have never used current bluetooth....I use it in my car all the time and it sounds great.

#10 gentlefury, Nov 11, 2010