What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stream MKVs from Corsair Voyager Air to iPad Air? Need help...

vetting

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a iPad Air, and just bought the Corsair Voyager Air to store movies that I can stream to the iPad. All my movies are in MKV format. Is it possible to stream MKV from the Voyager Airto the iPad?

I have downloaded avplayerHD, which can stream MKVs. I have read others have done this, but I don't knop how to do it.

Can anybody help me? I don't want to convert all my MKVs to m4p.

PS. If this thread should be under iPads Apps-forum, just move it there :)

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried :
. First, choose "wifi transfer"
. Then "FTP Client"
. Enter the FTP stuff (IP address or name, port if non-standard, any username password needed). It does remember recent connections.
. Then browse to the folder, and select the media. It begins playing in a few seconds.
The above tip was provided by StephenB from ReadyNAS forum.
As far as I know, the Corsair Voyager Air is not DLNA ready. Otherwise, I would recommend MoliPlayer.

OP
V

vetting

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried :
. First, choose "wifi transfer"
. Then "FTP Client"
. Enter the FTP stuff (IP address or name, port if non-standard, any username password needed). It does remember recent connections.
. Then browse to the folder, and select the media. It begins playing in a few seconds.
The above tip was provided by StephenB from ReadyNAS forum.
As far as I know, the Corsair Voyager Air (VA) is not DLNA ready. Otherwise, I would recommend MoliPlayer.

Under FTP Client
IP adress: 192.168.77.236 (which i got from informasion on the Voyager Air wifi in settings on mi iPad)
Port: 21 (which was already writen there. Standard?)
User id: i did not write anything. Don't know what to write there.
Password: i did not write anything. I have only set a passord on the VA wifi.
Encoding: UTF-8 (which was already written. Standard?)
Passive mode was enablet standard.

Got connection failed.

Any ideas?

PS. When using the VA app, I see the files on it, bit can't play them as they are MKVs. Get the message: the file is to big.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What kind of MKV files are you trying to play? These can be as big as 40GB. It is very unlikely you will be able to stream such files over wireless as they are such high bitrate as to be too slow for most wireless connections. They can't be reliably streamed even to regular computers over most typical wifi connections.

OP
V

vetting

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What kind of MKV files are you trying to play? These can be as big as 40GB. It is very unlikely you will be able to stream such files over wireless as they are such high bitrate as to be too slow for most wireless connections. They can't be reliably streamed even to regular computers over most typical wifi connections.

The MKVs are from DVDs, so they are about 5gb. I think my problem is settings, since I can see the files in the app fri Corsair. But I don't know how to excess the files with avplayerHD.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Corsair Voyager Air from iTunes and let us know.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/corsair-voyager-air/id650718402?mt=8
If you cannot stream with AVPlayerHD, at least you can download using the CVA app and play locally. I don't have a CVA so can't be of help much.
Or try MoliPlayer or OPlayer. Both have free versions. I streamed 1080p movies using Moliplayer with ease. The players have cache settings. If needed, the cache can be adjusted for large files.

OP
V

vetting

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Corsair Voyager Air from iTunes and let us know.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/corsair-voyager-air/id650718402?mt=8
If you cannot stream with AVPlayerHD, at least you can download using the CVA app and play locally. I don't have a CVA so can't be of help much.
Or try MoliPlayer or OPlayer. Both have free versions. I streamed 1080p movies using Moliplayer with ease. The players have cache settings. If needed, the cache can be adjusted for large files.

You think I can stream MKVs on iTunes on my computer? I shall try it.

I don't want to download and play locally, as it is the kids (3 years) tha shall watch movies in the car and on hollidays. They don't want to wait vert long :)

I tried Moliplayer, and it was easy to find the files on my VA. But it could not play the MKV due to DTS soundtrack. Tried a few times, godt it to play, but no soundtrack and bad picture.

mydave

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, got to make the children happy. Utmost important :eek:
Someone suggested streaming from iTunes. So give it a try.
As for Moliplayer, try the cache setting to see if it helps. Or use AVS Video Converter to convert the large files. My ripped videos are averaging 1.5 GB. I have no problem as you described. Even on my ancient iPad 1, Moliplayer streams smoothly.
Hope that you'd come up with a great solution for the children.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you are talking about kids, just convert them to m4v or mp4 and be done with it. You can get video catalyst for like $10. Job done.

Most reactions