What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stream Live TV?

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck

Good luck with streaming live TV with any desktop app. I have a number of them and some will stream the audio but none will stream the video. I'm waiting for an app from Beyond TV. I have used that for years and it is very good.
My current setup is a Slingbox Pro HD and the Slingplayer app on the iPad. The picture quality is exceptional and lets me watch anything that is on my cable or my cable box. You do need a strong bandwidth-both up-link and down-link.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good luck with streaming live TV with any desktop app. I have a number of them and some will stream the audio but none will stream the video. I'm waiting for an app from Beyond TV. I have used that for years and it is very good.
My current setup is a Slingbox Pro HD and the Slingplayer app on the iPad. The picture quality is exceptional and lets me watch anything that is on my cable or my cable box. You do need a strong bandwidth-both up-link and down-link.
The Slinbox image is nice in static viewings but downright choppy with high action sports on mine. Fifteen minutes is the longest I can stand before my eyes want to leave their sockets.

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No choppiness here

I don't have that problem. I always choose the HQ setting on the iPad Slingplayer and the images are as good as the iMax movies. You may not have a sufficient upload speed since that seems to impact the images more than download speed. I did upgrade my modem recently. I'm on Comcast.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the router than the service provider because with a Slingbox everything is done on your own network.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it has more to do with the router than the service provider because with a Slingbox everything is done on your own network.

That is only true when you are streaming to a device in your house. If you are trying to stream TV when you are away from your house then the quality very much depends on the upload speed your provider supplies. For me, streaming video to my Ipad away from my home network is pretty much a no go because my upload speed is something like 512K.

33hamil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Right on

You are right on about that upload speed. Speedtest.net on my iPad show an upload speed of 5.24 mbps. I too struggled with the 700+ or minus until I got the new modem. I did not change the contract with Comcast, only purchased a new up-to-date modem. Of course your download and upload speeds will vary thoughout the day. However, at 5.24 mbps, there is room for slight variances during the day, while still providing an excellent image.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm thing about getting to pro hd for my home to be able to watch it at my work computer network which is fast hooked up to the flat screens in our control room via rga cable from computer to flat screen, it already works really well and picture is great streaming from Justin tv for all the sports the last couple days but wanted more channels such as what the sling box will give. Does it work well on highspeed pc's? And if I get this thing I see that the cable hooks to my linksys wrt54g router as well......do I have to change any settings in my router to view from a pc?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use EyeTV to get tv onto my Mac. The EyeTV app allows me to remotely operate the EyeTV to watch live shows on my iPad, and watch any shows that I have recorded in iPad format.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
Seadog said:
I use EyeTV to get tv onto my Mac. The EyeTV app allows me to remotely operate the EyeTV to watch live shows on my iPad, and watch any shows that I have recorded in iPad format.

This is win!

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are similar devices for Win, just not as elegant or easy to use.

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an old Slingbox AV and already had the Ipod app for my kids, so that is what I use. It is not HD but does not cost me any extra money.

so like the newer ones, since you have the program on your computer, does the stream speed come from your computer or my actual verizon modem which is pretty fast, bad thing is my laptop sucks and is slow

jayman2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If AirVideo is an app downloaded to your iPad and you have wifi in your home you do not need your computer up to use it.
I'm not saying that your answer is incorrect, but I have AirVideo on my iphone and ipad and my home computer has to be on for your device to connect. On my computer I run AirVideo server that serves the videos that I have selected.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a HDhomerun network tuner that grabs the live digital TV signal coming in and makes it available on the network for devices to access. PCs are a snap using the supplied software, but I have also got a solution for iOS devices as the manufacturer has not iOS support to date.

I use TVStreamer which picks up the HDhomerun tuner on the network and allows me to select the channel I want to view, once selected, it opens in Goodplayer where it streams the live TV. When I want to change channels, I click Done and it returns to TVStreamer so i can select the next channel.

This is a solution that bypasses the need for a Mac or PC to be acting as a server on my network.

Most reactions

Latest posts