What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange Sound

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an I-Pad3, Wi Fi only. From time to time I get a ringing tone. When I check, there is no indication I have a text or no indication of any FaceTime activity.
I am puzzled. Any ideas?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go to the General tab in your Settings app and select the "Sound" line on the right side. Then, look at the list of system functions that can have a sound and see if any of them are the ringing sound you hear. Here is a picture of where/what I mean:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358778537.339275.jpg

Hopefully, that ringing will be for one of those. Otherwise, maybe you have a game that has a notification sound?

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you have multiple Mail accounts, you should also check under Settings > Notifications > Mail. You can set individual new mail sounds for each account there. These override the default New Mail sound in Settings > Sounds.

You can also find many of the settings in Sounds duplicated in the Notification settings for that app. It does not matter where you change them from, but it's usually easier to see them all together in the Sounds settings.

OP
D

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
If you have multiple Mail accounts, you should also check under Settings > Notifications > Mail. You can set individual new mail sounds for each account there. These override the default New Mail sound in Settings > Sounds.

You can also find many of the settings in Sounds duplicated in the Notification settings for that app. It does not matter where you change them from, but it's usually easier to see them all together in the Sounds settings.

Thanks. Have tried both good suggestions above, but nothing array. Other ideas? Thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Other than Marilyn's suggestion about games (or other third party apps), no. Go through all your Notifications settings and see what's set to make a sound; start eliminating them.

Well, I suppose it is possible that some setting has gotten stuck. In that case you could try the following. Lots of setting cleanup after the fact if you do, but it may be worth it.

Reset All Settings: You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

OP
D

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Success!

Went through all the apps. Culprit was Battery Doctor which rings when battery is fully charged. Thanks to you problem is solved.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Went through all the apps. Culprit was Battery Doctor which rings when battery is fully charged. Thanks to you problem is solved.

Glad you found that problem and good of you to come back on it Dick. A response can help another member with a similar problem. I use that app and have a rooster crow when charged up
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Whew! Glad to hear you found it and that it WAS something. And, thanks for letting us know. We always appreciate hearing back - especially on the success stories. :)

Marilyn

OP
D

DickW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Whew! Glad to hear you found it and that it WAS something. And, thanks for letting us know. We always appreciate hearing back - especially on the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Lesson here for me is to differentiate rings. With 2 I-Phones and 2 I-pads using the same rings is guaranteed to drive you crazy!

Most reactions

Latest posts