What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange mail issue

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Received an email from " skype for iPad" this morning. It's just a basic email telling about skype. It won't allow me to delete it! In fact if I try any option....trash, save, delete it jumps out of the email back to the main screen! I closed all programs, it still did it, next I restarted my iPad and it still did it! Very odd.! Any ideas? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say that you closed all apps, do you mean by closing them in the multi-task bar?

Tim

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, double click home button and close all open apps

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I finally got the skype email to disappear....by deleting it on my droid phone. By deleting it there it also disappeared from iPad email account. The whole thing was very strange.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - there are two email protocols used to receive email. The older 'legacy' protocol is POP (Post Office Protocol) and the newer one is IMAP.

If you use POP, then the iPad downloads the emails from the server and displays them on your iPad. Any action you take on the emails then only affects the local copy, not the copy on the email server. So deleting it from the iPad won't delete it from the server.

IMAP provides a virtual 'window' from your iPad to the email server. The iPad shows you the arrangement of emails on the server - including any email folders you may have there (it's the only way to create email folders on the iPad). Any action you take on an email using IMAP is taken on the email on the email server, so deleting an email will delete it from the server too.

Tim

moporpail

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for posting. I too experienced the same problem and the only way I could remove was to archive the message. The fact that it would shut down our mail when trying to delete is very strange. hopefully no further e-mails from skype.

Most reactions