What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange behaviour of iTunes 10 during Syncing in Windows 7

dsefton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone else experience the strange situation I have when syncing my iPad and iPod in iTunes 10? The bar at the bottom of iTunes starts off by showing the correct amount of free space on the device. But as soon as Stage 1 of the syncing begins, the free space jumps to "Over Capacity by 4.8GB". When the syncing completes, the free space quantity replaces the Over Capacity display. This is quite spurious, so what the hell does this mean? :mad:

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The strange thing happened to mine, was the opposite. Before itunes 10 i only have 42G of free space. after itunes 10, free space is up i now have 52G of it. :D

tobriant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In my case, I'm noticing no such problems. My computer uses Win7Ultimate64bit and the starting capacity does not show bogus numbers at any point during the syncing process.

cwxmas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over Capacity message when syncing

Does anyone else experience the strange situation I have when syncing my iPad and iPod in iTunes 10? The bar at the bottom of iTunes starts off by showing the correct amount of free space on the device. But as soon as Stage 1 of the syncing begins, the free space jumps to "Over Capacity by 4.8GB". When the syncing completes, the free space quantity replaces the Over Capacity display. This is quite spurious, so what the hell does this mean? :mad:
===================
Yes, exactly the same thing happens on my Ipod Touch when syncing with ITunes 10. I have had nothing but pure grief every time there's an update of iOS. I get various error messages that ultimately result in my having to restore the iTouch to factory condition and the restores are unsuccessful (unknown error), so I lose all my settings, email accounts settings, game histories and levels, databases, etc. It's a nightmare. I have never seen such buggy software. It's happened three times now. Apple users crow about the great Apple products but I wouldn't iTouch one with a 10-foot pole if I hadn't already invested so much time and money on this damn iTouch.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, similar here. During sync the used space drops by several GB, and returns to normal at the end. iTunes 10 Win7 64bit

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use to have this problem with my Iphone 4 becuse the host file added during the jailbreak of my previous ihone (3Gs) would not allow the upgrade. It did not return to normal until I got rid of the host file info. Now now probs with updates.

quote:-
Yes, exactly the same thing happens on my Ipod Touch when syncing with ITunes 10. I have had nothing but pure grief every time there's an update of iOS. I get various error messages that ultimately result in my having to restore the iTouch to factory condition and the restores are unsuccessful (unknown error), so I lose all my settings, email accounts settings, game histories and levels, databases, etc. It's a nightmare. I have never seen such buggy software. It's happened three times now. Apple users crow about the great Apple products but I wouldn't iTouch one with a 10-foot pole if I hadn't already invested so much time and money on this damn iTouch.[/QUOTE]

George Knighton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm interested in this issue because I have an odd issue with iOS 4.2 Beta 2: The Windows interface reports the drive size of the iPad as 82 GB, which we all know is impossible.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes for Windows is nothing but a piece of junk and bad programming. it keeps on crashing on me, it is slow and it also does show incorrect capacity as you have mentioned.

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree, maybe that's why I HATE it so much. Every time I start it is checking this or sending that. You can't just put something into a folder, you have to convert it or import it or whatever. Every other mp3/merdia player in the world just plays files as they find them. Only itunes wants you to do a little dance while it has a big think about things. And don't get me started on ring tones. Just because apple doesn't want you having mp3's as ring tones, you either have to buy them or go through an elaborate ritual in Itunes. OH GOD SAVE ME!!!!!!

weeozy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im getting this problem i downloaded itunes today started to sync my ipod and it put all me music on it with out asking me so now its 9.5gb over capacity so im restoring it to factory setting to get rid of the music on it coz that the only way i now but it taking the piss iv been waiting 2+ hours for it to finish the 1st stage of restoring :(

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
im getting this problem i downloaded itunes today started to sync my ipod and it put all me music on it with out asking me so now its 9.5gb over capacity so im restoring it to factory setting to get rid of the music on it coz that the only way i now but it taking the piss iv been waiting 2+ hours for it to finish the 1st stage of restoring :(

I had the same problem which inlcuding stuffing up my photos. The only way round it was to restore. It happened on my Iphone4 AND Ipad1. Everything is now ok and syncs are normal. I don't know what happened but it cant be just us surely?

Most reactions

Latest posts