What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing music?

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is it possible to save any music downloads that haven't been downloaded (& paid for of course
!) in the " music" program/ file/ icon? I just

downloaded a tune but it has disappeared!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only ways to save music in the Music app that you have not purchased through iTunes is to import them into iTunes on the computer, then sync; or use a third party computer program to do much the same.

If you did buy it in iTunes on the iPad, it will be in the Music app. If you bought it on the computer, you can either sync, or you can go to the Purchased tab in iTunes one the iPad and download it.

You can use third party music/video apps to save and play music you download directly from other sources.

To use this approach you first have to download the app you want. There are several. AVPlayer and OPlayer are popular. OPlayer has a built in web browser you can use to visit and download files directly. I'm pretty sure AVPlayer does as well, but I don't own that one.

If you happen across the file in Safari and download it (it should be on a screen of it's own) tapping the Open In or Share icon (box with arrow coming out of it) you should see all the apps compatible with that file. Tap the one you want. Until you do this, no file downloaded in Safari is saved anywhere (other than Safari's temporary buffers) on the iPad.

If you don't see the Open In (iOS 5 and earlier) or Share icon tap in the middle of the display (but not on any controls) to make the appear at the top.

I hope that's enough to get you started.

Last edited:
OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So basically I have to download the music to my computer first & then transfer it to the ipad? Will I then have the option to save it in the program marked " music" on the desktop?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What you do is import the music into the iTunes program on the computer. You can then set up the music to sync when you connect the iPad to the computer and select it in iTunes. The music then appears in the Music app on the iPad.

All if this can be a bit confusing, so I'll add some definitions:

iTunes on the computer: Apple's catch all media player, manager, and stores; plus sync utility for iOS devices.

iTunes on the iPad. This is just the part of Apple iTunes store where you can buy music, movies, and TV Shows.

Music on the iPad: The app that plays the audio media (minus podcasts) that you downloaded from the iTunes store, or imported and synced via iTunes on the computer.

If you've never used iTunes, it's possible the first thing it will want to do is erase your iPad. Just say no.

Go to the Store menu and Authorize the computer. Activate the Side Bar in the View menu, right click on the iPad under the Devices list, and choose Transfer Purchases.

If you have a lot of apps and other iStore content this will take a considerable amount of time.

With the iPad connected and selected in iTunes on the computer, there were be several links across the top. One of those will be for Music. The controls there are mostly self explanatory. It is also a good idea to go through the App section and make sure all your apps have checkmarks next to them. Any that do not will be removed on the next sync. You should only need to do this the fist time, and even then it's a just in case precaution.

As I said, if you don't want iTunes (many people don't', for various reasons), there are other computer options for getting music into the Music app; however all of them start with having the music on the computer. The only one I am half-way familiar with is iExplorer. It's not free, but it will do considerably more than transfer music. A powerful tool, you can do damage with it if you go fiddling too deep into the iPad. Not unrecoverable damage, but certainly inconvenient.

That's not meant to scare you off. Transferring the music should be easy and safe enough. It's just a warning that if you go digging into the app file section, don't add or delete stuff without knowing what you are doing.

OP
M

Missmouse3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you do is import the music into the iTunes program on the computer. You can then set up the music to sync when you connect the iPad to the computer and select it in iTunes. The music then appears in the Music app on the iPad.

All if this can be a bit confusing, so I'll add some definitions:

iTunes on the computer: Apple's catch all media player, manager, and stores; plus sync utility for iOS devices.

iTunes on the iPad. This is just the part of Apple iTunes store where you can buy music, movies, and TV Shows.

Music on the iPad: The app that plays the audio media (minus podcasts) that you downloaded from the iTunes store, or imported and synced via iTunes on the computer.

If you've never used iTunes, it's possible the first thing it will want to do is erase your iPad. Just say no.

Go to the Store menu and Authorize the computer. Activate the Side Bar in the View menu, right click on the iPad under the Devices list, and choose Transfer Purchases.

If you have a lot of apps and other iStore content this will take a considerable amount of time.

With the iPad connected and selected in iTunes on the computer, there were be several links across the top. One of those will be for Music. The controls there are mostly self explanatory. It is also a good idea to go through the App section and make sure all your apps have checkmarks next to them. Any that do not will be removed on the next sync. You should only need to do this the fist time, and even then it's a just in case precaution.

As I said, if you don't want iTunes (many people don't', for various reasons), there are other computer options for getting music into the Music app; however all of them start with having the music on the computer. The only one I am half-way familiar with is iExplorer. It's not free, but it will do considerably more than transfer music. A powerful tool, you can do damage with it if you go fiddling too deep into the iPad. Not unrecoverable damage, but certainly inconvenient.

That's not meant to scare you off. Transferring the music should be easy and safe enough. It's just a warning that if you go digging into the app file section, don't add or delete stuff without knowing what you are doing.

Thanks for all that info, very helpful indeed!

Most reactions

Latest posts