What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storing documents locally to Ipad

mr flibble

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Apologies if this seems like a really simple question - I have a number of documents that I need to be able to store locally to my Ipad, these are either PDF, Word or Excel files. I have Adobe reader installed, and I recently purchased Numbers and Pages for my new device.

If I email the docs I need to use (or open them via drop box) how can I store them on the device, so I can open and access them when I am out of range of a wi-fi signal?

Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Files/documents on the iPad get stored with the app that uses them. So, if you open your dropbox app you will need to use the "Open In" dialog to funnel a given document to some app you would expect to use it in. For example, a Word file might get sent to Pages..and once there, you can work on it in Pages and you will find it once you open Pages as it will "own" the file.

Other option is to get GoodReader. You can funnel a lot of different file types to it and then vector them off to the various apps you want to work on them with.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Georgiablue42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an IPad2 and suddenly "documents to go" does not show up in my options for "Open In" any longer. Is there a setting I am missing on this?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What type of document are you trying to open? Have you recently installed another app that can read the same type of file? Sometimes, loading another app makes existing apps not show up in the "Open In" function (only so many can show at one time).

If you have loaded another app, the only suggestion I can give is to delete that app and then see if Documents to Go shows up again.

Marilyn

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
What type of document are you trying to open? Have you recently installed another app that can read the same type of file? Sometimes, loading another app makes existing apps not show up in the "Open In" function (only so many can show at one time).

If you have loaded another app, the only suggestion I can give is to delete that app and then see if Documents to Go shows up again.

Marilyn

Or delete Docs to go and reinstall it. That should put it at the top of the "Open in..." heap. Of course, something else will be knocked off the bottom.

Georgiablue42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have not installed another document viewing application

It was simply an excel spread sheet that gets updated weekly and I use all the time

Attachments

• image-647251856.jpg
    image-647251856.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 354

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Did you change the Excel spreadsheet (or have you ever used that particular spreadsheet on the iPad before)?

I ask because, according to your screenshot, that Excel spreadsheet is a Macro document; it ends with the extension .xlsm. As far as I can tell, Documents to Go cannot open that type of document, so that's why that app won't appear in the "Open In..." function. To verify, I tried this and my iPad/Documents to Go app won't open it.

So, now you know that it's not you. Unfortunately, I don't know what app will open an .xlsm file. Maybe you can change that file to a non-Macro file - one that Docs2Go can read?

Sorry to not be of better help.

Marilyn

Georgiablue42

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Did you change the Excel spreadsheet (or have you ever used that particular spreadsheet on the iPad before)?

I ask because, according to your screenshot, that Excel spreadsheet is a Macro document; it ends with the extension .xlsm. As far as I can tell, Documents to Go cannot open that type of document, so that's why that app won't appear in the "Open In..." function. To verify, I tried this and my iPad/Documents to Go app won't open it.

So, now you know that it's not you. Unfortunately, I don't know what app will open an .xlsm file. Maybe you can change that file to a non-Macro file - one that Docs2Go can read?

Sorry to not be of better help.

Marilyn

THANK YOU!!!!!
I could not figure it out and it was DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!
I saved it as xlsx and it's working again.

Most reactions