What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

storage

PhoneService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 Storage

Well, that doesn't seem very friendly now, does it? OK, then off to check out the Xoom, since the Galaxy and the other one look like junk...

Dang,

Greg

jakerich

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that doesn't seem very friendly now, does it? OK, then off to check out the Xoom, since the Galaxy and the other one look like junk...

Dang,

Greg
It's not that it's a "friendly" issue. USB devices depend on the host for power, in most cases. The iPad, being a battery powered device, has limited power for USB uses and that is generally well below the power a drive uses. The motors pull a lot of power to spin the disks, more than is reasonable to ask an iPad to provide. Cards, on the other hand, take very little power, so they can be used with less impact.

So, it's technology, not friendliness, that drives the situation.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not into the honeycomb devices but if your looking at the Galaxy you may also want to take a look at the Asus Transformer, that thing looks pretty slick and extended battery life with the additional keyboard. I'm not sure what the usb ports will power so you'll have to look into that.

Reaction score
htowngator said:
Is it relatively easy to use iDisk from MobileMe to do cloud storage?

Good question.

It really depends on the apps you use.

All Apple apps, such as Numbers/Pages work well with iDisk, but many third party apps have accepted Dropbox as a cloud standard. So you are actually better off getting a Dropbox account.

That said, if the apps support iDisk, then it is simple to access the cloud files.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, my straight-A son wants his reward in the form of an ipad2 and claims he needs a 32-GB as his mother wants him to share it with his sister...
The 16-GB costs 500 $, the 32-GB 600; therefore i'll pay 100/16 = 6.25 $ a GB, which i find outrageous since a 500-GB external HD costs around 40 $, i.e. 40/500 = 8 cents a GB!!! I'm trying to convince him that the 16 would be enough as he can always connect it to his PC to load whatever he needs at any given time - am I not right?
The extra 100 $ is not really what matters but I'd hate to be a victim of Apple's questionable business on that particular issue, on which i'd appreciate hearing your opinion...
thank you

Previous posters have wanted to share an iPad and were looking for multiple account control. Sorry, iPad is a single person device... especially when school stuff is involved. Have Mom look for a lst generation iPad for sis.

Second as mentioned solid state drives are much faster but cost more ... so your cost per GB is not relevant here. With solid state drives if you need 32, always double that number... If you do some homework you will find with SSD drives it is in the speed of the read/write cycle where you benefit considerably from more storage. Also as we get into the idea of cloud computing, the carriers are making a fortune from us (just like the gas price rip off we all suffer from). The file system on iPad is not typical to PC as there is no USB port for data ... only photos in .jpg format. For movies is MOV format. So you just can't consider I'll just carry a small back up harddrive and use it that way.

Hope this helps your decisions and choices. p.s. I was planning on a 32 GB and dear wife said for $100 get the bigger one ... you'll never be happy with the get less compromise. She knows me well. Just realize there is no upgrade to more storage after the fact. What you get now you live with. In my opinion ... more is much better.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dang,

Greg

Since you are searching ... consider this ... Battery life is a key issue in the high demand of iPad ... over 10 hours ... I've heard even 12 depending on circumstance. Second is graphics performance ... iPad2 is 3-5 times faster than Xoom or Galaxy. If your son plans on typing up a lot of reports, etc. then look at the Apple Macbook AIR. It is a full blown OS computer complete with USB 2.0 ports and all your flash drives and backup drives will work. It is also much easier to type with a mechanical key board. They are still light and EZ to carry, battery life is a bit lower ... but is probably the best light weight computer on the market. By the time you add BT key boards, covers, and buy lots of apps (you will buy lots of apps... and they do add up) ... you may find that the AIR could be your BEST BUY (not the retail store).

Last edited:

PhoneService

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 Storage

I didn't really figure you could attach an external HD per say, unless it had it's own power source, but I did wonder why I couldn't just use a 30pin/USB adapter and just plug in one of my SanDisk thumb drives. Isn't that just a flash drive with no moving parts?

Greg

Reaction score
PhoneService said:
I didn't really figure you could attach an external HD per say, unless it had it's own power source, but I did wonder why I couldn't just use a 30pin/USB adapter and just plug in one of my SanDisk thumb drives. Isn't that just a flash drive with no moving parts?

Greg

You can attach a thumb drive, but not all will work. It depends on now much power they draw.

However, without jailbreak can you
a) not copy any files from your iPad onto the thumb drive
b) only access images files named IMG_1345.jpg inside the DCIM folder, where 1345 can be any number.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, my straight-A son wants his reward in the form of an ipad2 and claims he needs a 32-GB as his mother wants him to share it with his sister...
The 16-GB costs 500 $, the 32-GB 600; therefore i'll pay 100/16 = 6.25 $ a GB, which i find outrageous since a 500-GB external HD costs around 40 $, i.e. 40/500 = 8 cents a GB!!! I'm trying to convince him that the 16 would be enough as he can always connect it to his PC to load whatever he needs at any given time - am I not right?
The extra 100 $ is not really what matters but I'd hate to be a victim of Apple's questionable business on that particular issue, on which i'd appreciate hearing your opinion...
thank you

Another option is air video. You can stream videos from your PC to the iPad anywhere you have an Internet connection. The app is something like three
dollars and works perfectly. I have over 4 terabytes of movies etc in my home LAN and I watch them anytime on the ipad2

~John

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Dang,

Greg

Since you are searching ... consider this ... Battery life is a key issue in the high demand of iPad ... over 10 hours ... I've heard even 12 depending on circumstance. Second is graphics performance ... iPad2 is 3-5 times faster than Xoom or Galaxy. If your son plans on typing up a lot of reports, etc. then look at the Apple Macbook AIR. It is a full blown OS computer complete with USB 2.0 ports and all your flash drives and backup drives will work. It is also much easier to type with a mechanical key board. They are still light and EZ to carry, battery life is a bit lower ... but is probably the best light weight computer on the market. By the time you add BT key boards, covers, and buy lots of apps (you will buy lots of apps... and they do add up) ... you may find that the AIR could be your BEST BUY (not the retail store).
3-5x? Come on, man. Even the most serious of fanboys can't believe that.

Macbook Air is massively overpriced.

And yes, I bought an iPad 2 so I'm not an Apple hater.

htowngator

iPF Noob
Reaction score
htowngator said:
Is it relatively easy to use iDisk from MobileMe to do cloud storage?

Good question.

It really depends on the apps you use.

All Apple apps, such as Numbers/Pages work well with iDisk, but many third party apps have accepted Dropbox as a cloud standard. So you are actually better off getting a Dropbox account.

That said, if the apps support iDisk, then it is simple to access the cloud files.

So its not something a'la Dropbox that's a simple repository?

glad2binaz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This comes too late for your decision process but I spent my career studying queueing and response time in computer systems. You can never have too much memory or storage; it almost always becomes a limiting factor. We bought an Ipad2 for my wife (our first Apple product) and we got the 64 GB version because, if you want to upgrade later, you get to buy another Ipad2.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This comes too late for your decision process but I spent my career studying queueing and response time in computer systems. You can never have too much memory or storage; it almost always becomes a limiting factor. We bought an Ipad2 for my wife (our first Apple product) and we got the 64 GB version because, if you want to upgrade later, you get to buy another Ipad2.

I thought about this too but went with the 32GB. The way I see it is that we can manage whats on the iPad and when to clean up. Maybe Im wrong and I still wonder if I should have just went with a 64GB, but there are 4 people using ours so far and we are doing wuite well and everyone is installing apps they want and has music they enjoy.

Time will tell.

Most reactions

Latest posts