What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage usage

qwerty12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a 32GB unit. My settings show 17GB storage available and 11.6GB used.
This does not add up to 32GB, what happened to the rest ?

In any case, how are you users doing in term of maxing out on your storage usage?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi--I am moving this to the General Discussion section for you to get better attention.

OP
qwerty12345

qwerty12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Hi--I am moving this to the General Discussion section for you to get better attention.

Thanks!

Perhaps I could have the question into a poll-like question like storage capacity categories such as 90% , 75% 50% etc.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
qwerty12345 said:
Thanks!

Perhaps I could have the question into a poll-like question like storage capacity categories such as 90% , 75% 50% etc.

It really depends on your interests, I only have 16 gigs and after over a year I still have over 10 gigs left, but I'm not into movies or music which are memory hogs. My biggest consumer is Kobo at 360 mb. I would have wasted a bunch of bucks if I had gone 32 or 64 but I researched it well before my purchase. Just my side of things. ;)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
qwerty12345 said:
I bought a 32GB unit. My settings show 17GB storage available and 11.6GB used.
This does not add up to 32GB, what happened to the rest ?

In any case, how are you users doing in term of maxing out on your storage usage?

The rest is used by the operating system and the stock apps that come with the iPad. That's why the available storage doesn't add up to 32GB.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I manage to fill up my iPads...and I have 64GB models. I took all movies and music off. I stream those so there is no need to store them on the iPad. I'm an app guy, and I have a lot, and some are quite fat! :)

I do, from time to time, go through and remove stuff that I haven't been using for a while. Especially games. When space starts to get low I start to get nervous. :)

louwin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My daughter has a 16Gb iPad 1 and very seldom updates her Apps.

Yesterday I looked at her iPad and saw there were 54 Apps that needed updating. :D

When I tried to update them (ALL) the iOS 5 said not enough memory.... :(

I had to update about 6 Apps individually, putting in a very complex access key each time. :(

When it got down to about 47 left I managed to select ALL and off they went. :D

I suspect the update process wasn't considering an update but an ADD?

I checked before and after the update process and the memory usage was about the same. :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are not able to update all, you can plug into iTunes and do it from there. That way it will work, and you don't have to mess around doing them one at a time.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have 2 IPads with 64 GB. My Ipad one is now a dedicated music Ipad--replaces a dying Touch. I have a lot of my own music on it but also lots of downloads from Rhapsody which I play in the car. It has only music apps on it plus mail, Safari and Kindle. My Ipad 3 is about 3/4 full. I have many apps, have a lot of content plus access to Dropbox. My Goodreader app flutuates as I move things to other apps, delete or move to cloud storage (Dropbox, but Icloud also). I have lots of photos--I upload all my raw photo files from SD cards to it, quick process and save jpeg, delete original (have uploaded to main PC, or if traveling, upload from SD card after travel using Ipad for backup). I would be happy for more storage on future Ipads as I use it for just about everything but photo processing, major xls creation by using combos of multiple apps. With the addition of the Apple BT keyboard I have sidelined my laptop and only use a very powerful PC and the Ipad--so files move off and on the Ipad as I use them, create them or just wish to enjoy them.

Having an Ipad for 2.75 years has totally changed the way I use a computer and I see it continuing to change as the tablets change in the future. More storage, faster processor, wonderful screens---lighter, thinner LOL. Its a very personal device and so storage size can vary quite a lot but I think for now for most people the 32 GB is the sweet spot for size unless, like me, you have lots of files moving around, lots of large photo files.

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
?.......... I took all movies and music off...............
I've got a 16 Gb model with half the capacity taken up with Apps etc. Of this Approx 1 Gb of Music is sitting there
Not being played. I just can't see how you remove selected albums from the Music App. Can anyone help?
Dagwood

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dagwood said:
I've got a 16 Gb model with half the capacity taken up with Apps etc. Of this Approx 1 Gb of Music is sitting there
Not being played. I just can't see how you remove selected albums from the Music App. Can anyone help?
Dagwood

You need to deselect them via iTunes on your computer, then sync your device. The iPad will then match only what you have selected on your PC.

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to deselect them via iTunes on your computer, then sync your device. The iPad will then match only what you have selected on your PC.
Thanks for the info on how to delete. Not what I wanted to hear!:( I hadn't realised that a sync would be involved , so now I will have to delete what I want to keep on my PC before it deletes what I don't want from my iPad. Now there's an opportunity for Apple to make life easier for me ( and others). Oh well, teach me to check before I start putting too much onto the new toy.
Thanks again ( and I guess we are all hoping life gets a bit cooler soon for you guys down under!)
Dagwood

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can delete an album or playlist by opening the music app and pressing on the one to delete. A small x will appear in the top left hand corner...tap it and viola, the album or playlist is gone!

Dagwood

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can delete an album or playlist by opening the music app and pressing on the one to delete. A small x will appear in the top left hand corner...tap it and viola, the album or playlist is gone!

Viola! I like it. I'll try that thanks

Most reactions

Latest posts