What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage issues

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This happened on a variety of websites, including

Page3.com
HuffingtonPost.com
Guardian.co.uk
IndianCountryTodayMediaNetwork.com
SLTrib.com
NationalPost.com
CBC.ca
BBC.co.uk
TheGlobeAndMail.com

The problem started on all at the same time (as far as I can remember) and it cleared up on all at the same time (I checked them all during the same browsing session).

Weird.

Are you viewing all of them at the same time though?

caparker418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a storage issue on my iPad Mini 3 9.1 and now 9.2. As the first poster said, deleting data in apps (photos, podcasts, dropbox, notability specifically) doesn't free up space. I've had to uninstall and reinstall apps before my usage showed up correctly. I can't do that with the podcast app and it's making me crazy. The photos updated after turning off and on...I'm on the very latest iOS (9.2.1) but I was in the process of deleting, installing, etc. when that update came through. I was on 9.1 earlier and the issue is still there. Any suggestions?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Try resetting your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears. Let go of both as soon as you see it, your iPad will power up on it's own. This reset won't remove data or change settings, it might help with your issue.

If this doesn't help with your problem, connect your device to iTunes on a computer, and take a look at your storage there. You should find something called "Other", coloured orange. If the amount of that storage is more than 2 GB, create a backup, and then restore your iPad using iTunes. This should help getting rid of most of the "Other" storage. Restore from the backup afterwards.

Hope that helps.

caparker418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much! It's been so long since I've connected to iTunes, I'd forgotten all about it! Appreciate the help.

caparker418

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, not sure if you might be able to answer another easy question. I figured out why I never sync my iPad with iTunes anymore. When I connect it, I get the setup message asking if I want to restore or setup as new. The last backup I did apparently was with my old iPad (last March). I don't want to restore or setup as new and I don't remember if setting up as new will wipe everything... I'm sure I've plugged it in several times and then don't do anything because I never have time to figure this out. If you can help, that would be great, if not, no worries. I'm sure I can find the answer. Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Setting up as new will erase every information, purchased app and setting, and your iPad will be set back to default.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before connecting your iPad to iTunes on your computer, go to iTunes in the toolbar and tap on Preferences, then select Devices from the menu at the top of the pop up screen. Once there, check. "Prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically." This will prevent syncing as soon as you connect to iTunes.

On a Windows computer, click on the rectangle icon at the very top left of the screen and select preferences from the pop up menu. The rest of the procedure is the same as on a Mac.

After connecting your iPad to iTunes:

If you're using a Mac you go to the iTunes toolbar at the top of the screen and tap on File, then select Devices from the pop up menu, you have the option to transfer purchases from your iPad. This will load the iTunes content from your iPad to the iTunes library on your computer.

On a Windows computer select the File tab in the iTunes toolbar and click on it. The same options are available as on the Mac.

When you connect to iTunes one of the options is to backup your iPad. If you create a new backup you can restore from that backup. Do this as soon as you've transferred your purchases from the iPad.

When you sync the iPad, you can choose to restore your iPad and set it up from the backup you just made. The content you had on your iPad will be loaded from the content in the iTunes library that was put there when you transferred your purchases from the iPad. This should stop you from losing any content or data.

Last edited:

Most reactions