What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stolen iPad & iMac

manamaga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. I was called into work today as we had been burgled. Amounst other things there were two iMac, iPad 2`s and iPods stolen. Now, I had Find My iPad on my devices and location services activated. My iPad was locked and requires my pin number to unlock. I have logged into iCloud to see if my iPad has been located but no joy as yet :-( My question is, if anyone has a good knowledge of how Find My iPad works, does the device have to be actually joind to a wireless network to be tracked or simply being turned on?? Also, if the theives hooked the iPad upto iTunes and wiped it clean, would that render Find my iPad useless?

Many thanks.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The device does have to be online in order to see it, whether through wifi or 3/4G. Once it has been restored, it is no longer possible to find it using Find My Ipad since, effectively, it is no longer yours.

Sorry I can't give any good news here.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The device does have to be online in order to see it, whether through wifi or 3/4G. Once it has been restored, it is no longer possible to find it using Find My Ipad since, effectively, it is no longer yours.

Sorry I can't give any good news here.

So if anyone steals your iPhone or Mac. they can just clean it and then it becomes theirs? Even if it's password protected? I thought Apple kept control of their products with the S/Ns. Is this not the case?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
So if anyone steals your iPhone or Mac. they can just clean it and then it becomes theirs? Even if it's password protected? I thought Apple kept control of their products with the S/Ns. Is this not the case?

By all means report the stolen iPad to apple.As soon as the thief uses iTunes,apple will know who and where the person using your iPad is.I'm sure that if the police approached apple with a valid court order,the info would be turned over.

Most reactions

Latest posts