stolen Ipad- find my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by nuffz, Apr 29, 2015.

1. nuffz

nuffz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi!

today i had my iPad stolen, unfortunately its turned off/dead battery. it has a lot of sensitive information on there. my question is if i wipe it through find my iPhone on iCloud once it has been wiped will they be able to use it? I don't want this horrible thief selling it or using it, many thanks in advance Nuffz

2. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If you elect to erase your iPad through the Find My iPhone site in iCloud, it will be erased as soon as it's connected to the Internet. The thief will not be able to use the erased iPad because your Apple ID and password have to be entered before the iPad can be activated. There is no way to bypass this requirement. The thief may well try to sell it but but it won't be usable.

Have you reported the theft to the police? Also, report it to Apple as well, in case it's ever brought in for service. If the iPad is a WiFi plus Cellular model with an active data plan, contact your cellular provider to get it blacklisted.

3. nuffz

nuffz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    i wasn't sure if it would be disconnected from my iCloud account if i wiped it

4. nuffz

nuffz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I have had my iPad recovered by the police thanks for your help

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  5. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That's wonderful news! Did Find My iPhone play any part in the recovery of your iPad?

6. nuffz

nuffz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    No i wiped it, when you do that you no longer have the option to use the finder option. It was found when the thief was disturbed during another robbery the same night lucky i the wipe option lets you place a message on the screen once its turned on

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Please clarify Scifan...'s question quoted @ the top, i.e. appears that you put a message on your stolen iPad via 'Find My iPhone' - assume that message had your contact information and that is why your iPad was returned to you by the police - correct? If so, then the feature played a part? Dave :)

#7 giradman, May 3, 2015
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. nuffz

nuffz
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    my apologises you are correct :)