What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stmp outgoing mail settings for unicom- china

hancor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Unsure if this is the best place to post this but let see what happens.

I travel to china a bit and i can never work out the stmp out going mail sever settings ? My Australian incoming mail is fine. I would like to use my ipad to send out mail direct not going thru webmail.
I cant find a proper answer anyway on the net googling so i was hoping someone else has set up there ipad before using unicom ???????

cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's no need to use the Unicom SMTP. If your email service provider supports SMTP/SSL you can simply leave the settings unchanged. SSL provides a secure SMTP login for outgoing mail and avoids the 'Port 25 relay problem'. It uses port 465.

Tim

OP
H

hancor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim , i will contact my provider tomorrow and see what they say.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - if they do support it you'll need to edit your email settings for outgoing mail to change to SSL and to enter your email address and password (same as the POP or IMAP password). The port number is generally 465 but some use 995.

Tim

OP
H

hancor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmmm - check with my provider today - they don't support ssl - bugger

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - no problem....there's a workaround (isn't there always?)...

I have exactly the same problem, my service provider doesn't support SSL - so -

I set up a hybrid account...the incoming mail is from my email service provider, just as before.

For outgoing mail, I set up a (free) gmail account and use the gmail email server, which does support SSL. Now, there's a problem because - when using the gmail SMTP/SSL server, the iPad will show the email as originating from gmail and, when people use the 'reply' button, that email will be sent back to gmail...so.....I use the gmail auto-forward option and have all my incoming gmail forwarded automatically to my normal email service provider's email server.

Works a treat....

Tim

OP
H

hancor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Okay i set up a gmail account - sorry i might sound a little dumb ? but what do with the stmp settings ?

mail.gmail.com ???? yeah - i fly out again tomorrow i appreciate ur help

Cheers

Cyril

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Okay i set up a gmail account - sorry i might sound a little dumb ? but what do with the stmp settings ?

mail.gmail.com ???? yeah - i fly out again tomorrow i appreciate ur help

Cheers

Cyril
The Gmail SMTP server settings for sending mail through Gmail from any email program are:

Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
Gmail SMTP user name: Your full Gmail address (e.g. [email protected])
Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
Gmail SMTP port: 465
Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

Gmail IMAP server address: imap.gmail.com
Gmail IMAP user name: Your full Gmail address (e.g. [email protected])
Gmail IMAP password: Your Gmail password

Hope that helps. More here:

iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Gmail Help

Most reactions

Latest posts