What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still baffled by Apple. Or, well, a bit.

OP
M

Maynotts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well. . . I'm really not sure if "thanks" is an adequate enough word to properly acknowledge the invaluable help I've received from you all, but, anyway . . . T H A N K Y O U!!!

My admittedly limited past experience of online forums has most often been that of Custer seeking rescue but acquiring only more Indians, it being the case that answers have tended to assume I know what I'm doing when I don't, and thus I finish up more beleaguered by the solution than ever I was with the problem.

Not so here. Thanks entirely to everyone who has been kind enough to take the time and trouble to respond, I have just now -- and very quickly, and very, very easily -- downloaded into my iBooks Library the New England Tourist Board brochure which Dave accurately deduced was the info I was after.

What I hadn't realised (and I'm feeling mortified about this) was that there was a SECOND drop-down options menu which could be reached by sliiiiiding the screen after tapping it. What I'd done was go to Share and tap and stare blankly at a list which I'd thought was all there was. By scrolling, as JA and Dave so kindly flagged up, a further options list appears. . . including iBooks.

The upshot of this is that I've told Husband, I really don't know why he's using Android, all that messing around with clicking to download, then opening file manager, then going to the downloads folder, then finding the file, then opening it. All I have to do on my iPad is 'share' the file into iBooks and it's instantly there. He's now not speaking to me. Ah well.

Seriously though . . . I am so very grateful to all of you for the help received. It's always frustrating to get 75% of the way there with a task but fail to complete it due to ignorance (as in this case: if I hadn't scrolled / swiped, I'd never have found the iBooks option.) Simple things, I guess, where experienced users are concerned but to a novice unused to a new Operating System, they can be problematic.

I do seem to have taken up a lot of everyone's time with this query, and apologise for any inconvenience inadvertently caused. I would've liked to name-check everyone here by way of appreciation but as that might sound like an Oscar ceremony speech, I'll desist. I have, however, discovered the hitherto invisible (to me) postings option bar and am now able to thank ('like') where thanks are due.

And now, back to research. Husband and I have meandered far and wide across our former colony and long since forgave its residents for their aversion to Earl Grey (the tea, I mean). As a result of our 1000s of miles of travel over the years and all the good times that resulted, we may possibly be more Americanophile than even some Americans. New England, however, is unknown to us, so at last -- and, again, because of all the help and advice so generously given here -- at last I now sit back and read, if not the expletive manual, then definitely, the tourist brochure.

Sincere thanks again, and best wishes to you all. :):)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad 2. Still works a treat. It's certainly in better shape than its owner.

For my portable music, I'm stilling using an iPod Touch 2G (released in 2008 - given to me by my IT son in 2009) - it's stuck on iOS 4.2.1, but I only use the device as a music player - fits beautifully in my bedroom Sangean clock radio w/ a 30-pin dock - the sound on that radio is superb, so if I upgraded to a newer iPod or an iPhone, I'd have to deal w/ the lightning connection issue - not a big deal but just lazy as long as my 'Apple Antique' is still working! :) Dave
SanjearRCR10 copy.jpg

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well. . . I'm really not sure if "thanks" is an adequate enough word to properly acknowledge the invaluable help I've received from you all, but, anyway . . . T H A N K Y O U!!!

The upshot of this is that I've told Husband, I really don't know why he's using Android, all that messing around with clicking to download, then opening file manager, then going to the downloads folder, then finding the file, then opening it. All I have to do on my iPad is 'share' the file into iBooks and it's instantly there. He's now not speaking to me. Ah well.

Sincere thanks again, and best wishes to you all. :):)

Hi again - we've all been glad to help - many maneuvers & features on an iDevice are easy once learned - I suspect that as you show your husband more 'neat' iPad tricks, that a second device will be in your near future - just a guess - ;) Dave

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
High again - we've all been glad to help - many maneuvers & features on an iDevice are easy once learned - I suspect that as you show your husband more 'neat' iPad tricks, that a second device will be in your near future - just a guess - ;) Dave

I LOVE the "trick" where you can answer a phone call on your MBP without taking your phone out of your pocket.

@Maynotts

Helping people on forums such as this one helps us to understand our own equipment better, so it's a win for everyone. There is so much potential in these devices. As time goes on and your understanding of the iPad increases, you'll probably have even more questions, and some answers too. I think it was @scifan57 who said "The only dumb question is the one that wasn't asked."

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's interesting, but I wouldn't want to.

Hi Jupiter - I believe that Scifan.. was referring to a long-wanted 'new' feature of iOS 10, i.e. the ability to remove 'native or stock' apps from the iDevice - see first quote below. However, apparently the native app(s) removed are simply 'hidden' (assume that restoration will be possible, if desired) - see second quote (both have sources at the end). SO, if you want to clear up your 'home pages' (or reduced their numbers), icon deletion will be an option - not sure that I care that much? Dave :)

You can remove stock iOS apps, finally! For years, iOS users have lamented the fact that Apple’s built-in iOS apps — Stocks, Compass, Weather etc. — could not be deleted. With iOS 10, Apple has finally decided to end years of prolonged frustration by enabling us to essentially delete nearly every app that comes pre-installed on iOS (Source).

One of the small but often-requested changes introduced in iOS 10 is that you can, finally, hide stock apps. The wording is important, because Apple’s own wording is somewhat misleading.

When you ‘delete’ a stock app, iOS asks you if you want to ‘remove’ the app. And Apple’s own support page for the feature also uses the same word.

The reality, though, is somewhat different, as Apple SVP Craig Federighi confirmed on John Gruber’s podcast. All you are actually doing is deleting the user data associated with the app, and hiding the icon from view. The actual binary remains on your device (Source).

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Handy enough. It will save dumping all of the never-used apps into a folder and chucking them onto the last home page. Unfortunately, I'll still have to use that method because my ipad2 will not get the next OS.

Most reactions