What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky App

Engelberg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am using an older iPad, Model MC496FD with iOS 5.1.1. I had a YouTube app on it, but it hat to be updated to a new version. I installed the new version and it seems fine. My problem is that I have been
unable to delete the old version. Pressing the icon does not lead to the wiggly icons with a cross. Under
iTunes it does not appear, only the new version appears. Today, I reset my iPad completely reloading it
from iTunes, but that sticky icon was still stubbornly still there. It had to be deleted because all new links
to YouTube still lead to the old version. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 238

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The old version of the Youtube app was a native app. It can't be deleted.

More background stuff you don't need to read, but I typed anyway.

The reason you need the new version is that YouTube has updated it's services to the point that they no longer work with the older, not updatable, native app.

Apple and Google got into a tiff when it was time to update their agreements for direct support of the YouTube and Maps apps on the iPad. Apple wanted the newer capabilities, Google wanted to advertise and access to more information about users.* The result was that Apple removed both apps from the newer iOS updates and Google created it's own apps.

For the most part this turned into a win for the users (eventually). We got better services from Google, updated more quickly than we would have with annual iOS updates; and Apple got out of the need to maintain apps that were not entirely in line with their priorities.

But, for those left behind on iOS 5.1.1, it's just one more of inconveniences that goes with a no longer supported device. Actually, I'm rather surprised and pleased that Google has continued to support the iPad 1 with app updates.

* This is speculation, but was the general consensus of the media when it happened. Apple and Google did not air their reasons in public (that I am aware of).

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While you can't delete the native YouTube app from the iPad 1, you can go to Settings>General>Restrictions>YouTube and turn it off. That will remove it from the home screen and you can put the downloaded YouTube app in its place.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure you record or remember the restriction code. It's a bear to recover.
I believe that the only way to get past a restrictions password you can't recover is to restore the iPad and set it up as a new device because any backups will include the restrictions password.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That's what I remember as well. I should have said "it's a bear to recover from", since what I actually said implies you can recover the passcode Itself. You can't.

Oops.

Most reactions

Latest posts