What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Wozniak Says that Tablets are for “the Normal Peopleâ€

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
wozniak_and_jobs.JPG

Whenever Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak gives a speech you can bet he’ll come up with something quotable, and MacWorld reports that was very much the case when Wozniak spoke at Storage Networking World to an audience of enterprise storage engineers in Santa Clara, California on Monday. When Wozniak was asked how tablets would change the computer industry, he replied by comparing tablets to TVs, saying:

“The tablet is not necessarily for the people in this room. It’s for the normal people in the world. I think Steve Jobs had that intention from the day we started Apple, but it was just hard to get there, because we had to go through a lot of steps where you connected to things, and (eventually) computers grew up to where they could do… normal consumer appliance things.â€

MacWorld notes that Wozniak has not worked full time at Apple since the 1980s, and he is now the chief scientist at Fusion-io, a solid-state storage company. Even so, that doesn’t stop Wozniak still revealing his true Apple-loving colours at every turn, as you can tell by this other quote from his Monday speech:

“On the subject of tablets, I read today that Android tablets are expected to surpass iPads, and I hope that never happens.â€

Source: Wozniak: Tablet is the PC for 'normal people' | Tablets | iOS Central | Macworld

Reaction score
Since there will only be 1 ios tablet, the Ipad, and 200 or more Android based tablets yes the chances of Android sales being greater are pretty good . Not necessarily a good or bad thing, just a reality

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:
Since there will only be 1 ios tablet, the Ipad, and 200 or more Android based tablets yes the chances of Android sales being greater are pretty good . Not necessarily a good or bad thing, just a reality

Yes and no. Look at the iPod, for example: almost ten years since it first appeared, it's still the dominant portal MP3 player through all its various generations and incarnations. Looking at the near-impregnable first mover advantage that iPad has, I'm just waiting to see if there'll even be 20 serious contenders, let alone 200...

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hurrah. It's a shame my wife doesn't know Woz.
I've told her for years I'm normal......

Expect it will take more than this to convince her even though we have three iPads.

geep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mountainbikermark said:

Yes and no. Look at the iPod, for example: almost ten years since it first appeared, it's still the dominant portal MP3 player through all its various generations and incarnations. Looking at the near-impregnable first mover advantage that iPad has, I'm just waiting to see if there'll even be 20 serious contenders, let alone 200...

I believe that with flood of cheap IMO sub par performance Android tablets a lot of people will get a bad first taste of tablets in general especially Android versions..I laugh at the flood of competitors coming in June or later, the only thing holding back the iPad now is supply, imagine if they were on the shelves?

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Expect it will take more than this to convince her even though we have three iPads.

And your point is?

roflol, I'm hardly normal and I love the iPad. Normal is boring.

jordexj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The ipad has the insurance of a functional IOS and itunes behind it. The problem with Android is that whenever you need to either upgrade the software or import music, you have to search all over the tethered computer for it, just to have some sort of stupid error... Bottom line is that the Ipad is more functional than any Android Tablet out there...

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read that Blackberry have delayed their "new" tablet,due to the huge amount of sales the ipad 2 has made.Even Motorola with their much-hyped Xoom tablet,have lowered the sales price.Everything has to do with brand name,and Apple's dominance in this region will last a very long time.Not attacking Android,but with several "versions",including Honeycomb,due out officially this summer?,Apples "integrated" approach across the "Pod/Pad" range is more affective,in my opinion.

Neil.

nezing

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add from my above comment,RIM'S Blackberry Tablet,uses their new QNX operating system,and not Android.

Neil.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

And your point is?

roflol, I'm hardly normal and I love the iPad. Normal is boring.

Actually, what I think Woz meant is that it's for the AVERAGE media consumer (which most consider to be "normal" people - although I've never really met anyone normal [especially on this forum])

Exocet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
geep said:
I believe that with flood of cheap IMO sub par performance Android tablets a lot of people will get a bad first taste of tablets in general especially Android versions..I laugh at the flood of competitors coming in June or later, the only thing holding back the iPad now is supply, imagine if they were on the shelves?

Last fall, I bought a cheap 7" Android tablet, and found myself rather underwhelmed with it. So I sold it. And several weeks ago, I bought a Viewsonic 10" Android tablet. It would have been a keeper but for the horrible viewing angle- the screen would wash out and basically become unusable at any viewing angle less than 75 degrees. Needless to say, that tablet went back to the store! So I can definitely echo your sentiments about people getting 'a bad first taste' with many of the cheap Android tablets.

And like you, I am laughing at all the other tablet makers desperately trying to catch up to Apple. Unfortunately, they didn't anticipate how popular the iPad would be, and Google sat on its hands for all that time and is only just now working on releasing Android 3.0, which is actually designed to work on tablets, unlike Android 2.2, which isn't. Bottom line, it's too late for them, unless they somehow pull a rabbit out of a hat, said rabbit being something that vastly surpasses the iPad in every respect. And I just don't see that happening anytime soon.

To my way of thinking, it looks like Apple took a page out of all the military history books and took to heart the lesson that the side that acts with the greatest speed and initiative (as well as surprise) is often the side that wins a battle. In the final analysis, Apple came to the fore with the 'fustest and the mostest' and started marketing a competent, fully-functioning tablet.

Now I have a 1st-gen iPad, and I absolutely love it. I would have gotten an iPad2 instead, but here in Canada they're practically unobtanium unless you're willing to go through the Apple Store and wait 2 - 3 weeks for delivery, assuming that delivery timings haven't slipped again due to supply bottlenecks. If anything, I'm wondering why I waited so long to get an iPad. I've only had mine for a little more than a week now, and it has already replaced my desktop machine for about 90% of my daily computing needs.

Most reactions

Latest posts