What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Jobs Taking Shots at Competition

Technician99

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what Jobs will end out with pie in his face, the Galaxy Tab will sell. Two things I like about it, nothing to do with iTunes and you can actually carry one in a large coat pocket.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i do not know on that one.. i think he right on a couple of the points that he brings up it to small for a person with large hands and it not really that big for someone useing it around the house..

plus i do think apple said it right about the software applications haveing to many people outside the control of the normal system is going to be a nightmare for the people who own a small unit like the tab there ..

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What infuriates people the most, is that he is mostly correct. After seeing the pie chart of the droid system support needs. I have to agree that it is a mess.

Alanfujii

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple competition - as Steve sees it and as Business Insider does

the truth about ditching the iphone for android: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

All the respones from the competition regarding what Steve said is missing the big picture. I've included the above article only because the rest of the world is still looking at the digital market as separate segments. What Steve says about Android is right on. Now there will be people out there that say it's good for competition and that may be true. But what's goingnto complicate matters is the merging technology that iPad has started. I think it was brilliant that Apple is using iOS for both the iPhone and iPad. One thing that I like a lot is having many of the same apps on both devices. Although I use them differently it let's me have at my fingertips whatever I need whether I'm on the iPhone or Ipad. I believe that there is a possibility that in the future AppleTV will allow the expansion of this ability. Imagine using many of the same apps on your big screen and finger pinches and swipes are you waving your hands and moving things around with some of the motion technology that already exists today. What you saw in Tom Cruise's "Minority Report" will be here 2011?

Sorry for rambling on but my point is when you want the operating systems to be somewhat seamless across platforms you're going to see what Steve is talking about become exponentially impossible. The only way to control it is to have a "closed" system. Apple of course has been doing it for years.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same argument he made for the Macintosh and against all of the PC clones running Windows and OS/2 back in the 1990s.

And as you can see, customers flocked to the Mac OS and Windows faded to the background never to be heard from again.

Oh, wait....

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
here is something that i got out of the article and i thought it out it was a little more on the security of the socalled software company ..that was apple was saying at time of the running of the socalled andoid software that you could download onto the phone system ..

right or wrong apple is a basic closed system to outside software companies inless approved by apple ..so that means apple test the software before it released for use with there system..plus apple is really more about protecting there customer base that they have for they know one really bad problem with a software application stealing from the customer base is going to leave apple in groups and not comeing back them ..

so here me out on this one about the socalled andoid phone system and software that is runs in a third party set up and think about some smart person who make to make a little money without working for it ..

when you download onto the socalled third party andoid phone software onto the phone that you have bought that running software from a outside source that not been test or at least knowing that there might be a security issuse with the phone software programing in the way that a third party person has piggy back another software program onto the program that you have downloaded onto the phone software..think it can not be done remember given enough time anything can be reworked to do the thing you want it to do ..

so when you do a small dollar amount transfer to the bank accout to a credit card payment or a bill payment it just takes a penny from each person account that is electronic transfer to another account in another country as a part of the piggy back software program ..

for most of us do not look at the cents amount only the dollar amount to make sure it right ..so if there is a penny more in the cents amount then you go ok let then figure it out ..

so now inmage you have 5000 phones a min all over the country doing the same thing takeing a penny out of the person account and moveing into another account for there use..now times that a hour -x-24 hours a day -x-7-days a week and how much money do think they have made in a day for that simple piggy back program of the software that you downloaded onto the phone in a third party application ..

think it can not be done remember this has allready been done and the andoid software market is beening very quiet about it plus any software you see comeing outside a normal area of US or England or Ireland or Japan run away from the download ..for it has a piggy back bank program on it to test something that a outside source wants to see if it can be done ..

so why do think Steve Jobs bought up the fact to many outside sources are in the game of software development in the andoid market place ..it does not matter if like apple products or you hate the fact that apple is a closed system remember the reason behind the facts of a closed system to protect the end use of a apple product from beening taken by a outside source that apple did not let into the software circle ..

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Android does need to find a way to reign in the chaos. I prefer the open system model over closed system, but you need some fixed parameters. Screen resolutions, minimum hardware requirements. These were all contributing factors in Windows Mobile's Demise. Microsoft has learned - WP7 is a completely different animal now.

BTW - what do you expect Steve Jobs to say?, "OMG we're scared of Android, its going to destroy us!!!". He's going to focus on whatever flaws or negatives he can - that's his job.

Last edited:

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android does need to find a way to reign in the chaos. I prefer the open system model over closed system, but you need some fixed parameters. Screen resolutions, minimum hardware requirements. These were all contributing factors in Windows Mobile's Demise. Microsoft has learned - WP7 is a completely different animal now.

you sir have hit the nail on the head there ..it took a long time for mircosoft to learn the hard facts about getting to a semi closed system that they are useing now ..

the problem will allways be that some smart person is outthere right now looking for away to make money off someone else mistakes in the software programs ..

so intill they get everyone to a basic set of rules about Andriod software program i will stick to apple for i know the basic rule is that apple will not let a bad application into the market at least before checking it out ..

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
so intill they get everyone to a basic set of rules about Andriod software program i will stick to apple for i know the basic rule is that apple will not let a bad application into the market at least before checking it out ..

Well, that's the theory anyway :) there's a ton of junk apps out there though. Reality just doesnt reflect that philosophy. What the closed system does do, however, is make it easier on the developer. When development is easy, guess what happens? MORE APPS!

There's a lot of great stuff out there for Android, but it requires a more savvy consumer. You have to do more research about apps and hardware, what configurations run well, and what doesn't. The open platform gives you the potential for more options, more functionality, and a more customizable experience, but YOU have to put it together. The masses simply dont want to jack with all that. They would rather have 75% of the functionality and have it right out of the box without doing anything.

That's the beauty of the market - there's something out there for everyone.

henry2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
a good friend of mine works computer fraud for the LASD and him and i have talked a few times over the fact the apple is one of the few software people who will test a product before putting out to the public ..

plus the big fact is somewhere somewhere is trying to figure out a way to make money off the bad applications once there on your phone laying bare some of the basic interworkings of the your personal i.d and banking habits .

that scares me the most out of the whole fact that someone is allways trying to make a buck the easly way useing someone else downfall when useing software or hardware at this day and time..

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This to me is an extremely interesting topic and a chance to hear from the "other" side so to speak.

I have a Droid 2, my second Droid. My first one was rooted and I had overclocked the processor, removed all of Verizon's unnecessary stuff and thought I had a great phone. Now my D2 is totally stock with Blur (most of which I trashed) and it too is a great phone.

I hear so much good stuff about the Apps Store and how many apps there are. Well, when I look at the rating of these apps I'm kind of wondering how good this App Store really is compared to the Market. Let me give you an example. Angry Birds in App Store, $4.95. Just released full version of Angry Birds in Android Market - Free.

Matter of fact I'm seeing far less free apps in the App Store then in the Android Market. And i've already discovered some stuff that the App Store doesn't carry.

Now I think that the reason so many apps are free in Android is because they give developers the chance to work in that open environment. Apple is rigid and unrelenting in their Apps. Not saying that's bad, but I wonder if it doesn't stifle creativity?

I own a Mac and now and iPad so I'm definitely not a Droid fanboi. I'm just giving you a view from how I see it as of right now. I'm still new to this world and I'm totally lost so that may be my issue.

OP
M

Makani

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now I think that the reason so many apps are free in Android is because they give developers the chance to work in that open environment. Apple is rigid and unrelenting in their Apps. Not saying that's bad, but I wonder if it doesn't stifle creativity?

Actually, no, that is not why they are free. I'm a developer. I made Red Card Rampage for iPhone, Android and Bada and am the author of the article. The Android market is loaded with issues due to which it is no longer making sense for developers to make their app paid on android, which is sad for us developers as THIS is what 'stifles' creativity: not being paid for it!

See my other article in which I list 10 issues from a developers perspective: The Trouble with Google's Android Market.

Developers don't WANT to make it free on Android. There isn't any choice :(.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am puzzled by one thing. If the App store and Apples closed system for security is ideal, why do I keep hearing Apple fans saying they need to jailbreak to get the software they really want?

Is that just a case of typical Apple users not understanding security? I'm really curious.

Most reactions

Latest posts