What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staying online in Skype.

akaDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm a novice when it comes to iPads so I was wondering if you could help me out. I'm trying to set an iPad up for my parents so that they can stay in touch with family overseas. The problem is that when the iPad goes into sleep mode/locked mode it puts them as offline on Skype. Apparently this is because the wi-fi connection is turned off when the iPad goes into sleep mode?

Basically I'm trying to keep it so that the Skype app is constantly open and they are always shown as online as they do not know when they will next be able to get in contact with our family overseas so it is important that they are always shown as available.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks, Dan.

OP
A

akaDan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype on iPad: Stays Connected Even in Sleep Mode | iPad in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPad Resource

skype_ipad.jpg

I found this while browsing for solutions but this iPad doesn't have this option. Any ideas?

Thanks.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does not the iPad, under settings, allow one to disable the sleep function? Of course, you may want to keep it plugged in while not using else the battery may not last as long as you have come to expect while in sleep mode.

Pommier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Preventing iPad from sleeping

On the iPad2, you do settings, general, auto lock, never.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about wi-fi, but my 3G iPads and iPhone stay logged onto Skype and I hear Skype calls ringing through even when the devices are in sleep mode. Depends on your needs and budget, but 3G might be an option.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Skype on iPad: Stays Connected Even in Sleep Mode | iPad in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPad Resource

skype_ipad.jpg

I found this while browsing for solutions but this iPad doesn't have this option. Any ideas?

Thanks.

You're looking at an article that's dated, which is why you're not seeing the option. If you have the iPad Skype app loaded on an iPad now, you'll see an option that says "Go offline," and you can choose "never," which will keep you logged on indefinitely.

The option comes with the Skype app. It's under Settings. (Then click on the Skype app icon to find the option.)

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
You're looking at an article that's dated, which is why you're not seeing the option. If you have the iPad Skype app loaded on an iPad now, you'll see an option that says "Go offline," and you can choose "never," which will keep you logged on indefinitely.

The option comes with the Skype app. It's under Settings. (Then click on the Skype app icon to find the option.)

Can anyone tell me what to expect for data usage when using Skype on 3G? At Verizon they told me it would use a lot, but couldn't tell me how much

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the UK I have an iPad sim from 3 (a mobile operator), they allow free unlimited skype forever, it does not eat into your data allowance. Do you not have something similar stateside ?

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:

Can anyone tell me what to expect for data usage when using Skype on 3G? At Verizon they told me it would use a lot, but couldn't tell me how much

Sorry, can't help with this. I buy unlimited data, so I don't have to track.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about wi-fi, but my 3G iPads and iPhone stay logged onto Skype and I hear Skype calls ringing through even when the devices are in sleep mode.

Same here. I've had Skype calls on my iPad at 5.30 in the morning when it's been in sleep mode for at least 6 hours or so previously (on wifi).

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about wi-fi, but my 3G iPads and iPhone stay logged onto Skype and I hear Skype calls ringing through even when the devices are in sleep mode.

Same here. I've had Skype calls on my iPad at 5.30 in the morning when it's been in sleep mode for at least 6 hours or so previously (on wifi).

Yes, Skype has woken me from sleep mode, too, lol.

BobDenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the "never" set in Skype, yet my Skype still goes offline. Is there something else I missed? iPad 2, WiFi only, I know it would disconnect when there is no signal, but it frequently disconnects when I stay within the same WiFi area too. It's that scenario I'd like to fix.

BobDenny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bump. Can anyone help? I have to open Skype a few times a day to remain reachable

bazgrant

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have this problem with Skype. There was an update to Skype today and I hoped that might fix it (although it wasn't listed in the changelog), but it hasn't :-( please, anybody any ideas?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts