What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Static when using earbuds

3midge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how to fix my problem. When I plug the earbuds into my iPad 2 all I pretty much hear is static. I have tried using different earbuds and the same thing happens so it's not them. I have tried restarting the iPad as well and that doesn't help either. Similarily, there have been many times in the last two weeks that I have lost all sound to my iPad as well. Restarting it fixes that particular issue. In settings everything is turned up so I really have no idea what to try next to permantley fix both issues. Please help.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
One common possibility is lint or dust in the headphone socket. I'm not sure the best method for removal, but sometimes you can give it s good blow to loosen it up.

OP

3midge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It didn't work for me. Thank you for responding so quickly :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you set a volume limit in Settings - Music, disable it.

Look at the settings for your side switch. If you chose to mute it, take a look at the switch itself. If you can see the red part below the switch, your iPad won't play sound, because it's muted. Toggle it to the other side to get sound again.
If you enabled orientation lock for the side switch, look at your Control Center. There should be a bell sign/button in the middle. If it's white and crossed out, tap it to enable sound again.

Here's something else you could try:
Reset all Settings in Settings - General - Reset. This will set back your settings to default, and you'll have to go through the Settings app to enable/disable what you prefer.

Maybe restoring will help. This will erase every content from your iPad, and hopefully also remove glitches you experience now. You can restore from a backup after restoring.
As it's an iPad 2, use iTunes (computer) to restore your device. Before restoring, make sure iTunes is up to date, and backup your iPad.

This might not help with your earbuds, but hopefully with the Sound problem on your iPad.

OP

3midge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much. I rebooted it and that worked! Yay!

Most reactions