What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start-Up Project SoundJaw Aims to Boost Your iPad’s Sound

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

SoundJaw is an interesting Kickstarter project from iPadforums.net member Matthew McLachlan. It’s an accessory that redirects your iPad’s sound, with the aim of making it louder and richer in tone. As you can see from the video, the SoundJaw is a plastic accessory that clips onto the iPad 2 and re-routes the sound from the rear speaker to the front. It actually seems to work really well going by the demonstration on the video. Matthew also designed the SoundJaw to be as aesthetically pleasing and slimline as possible to ensure that it looks neat and tidy on your wafer-thin iPad 2. The SoundJaw is made out of plastic, and a patent has been filed, for when Matthew gets enough backers. Matthew says on his KickStarter page that although the SoundJaw was designed specifically for the iPad 2, and is obviously more applicable to the iPad 2 with its rear speaker, it also works fine with the original iPad and fits okay too. Take a look at the KickStarter page by clicking on the link below and see what you think.

Source: SoundJaw - iPad 1 and 2 Sound Booster (iPhone compatible) by Matthew McLachlan — Kickstarter

Last edited:

SoundJaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the post Maura. If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate in asking. :)

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks like a great idea but I do have a question/suggestion. What about those of us using back covers like the CoverBuddy for instance? Will your device work with those as is or would you consider different versions that do?
Thanks

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This looks like a great idea but I do have a question/suggestion. What about those of us using back covers like the CoverBuddy for instance? Will your device work with those as is or would you consider different versions that do?
Thanks

I had the same question. :)

johnl316

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other day while watching a movie I was thinking that there must be an easy way to re-direct the sound so it is louder and more directed towards the viewer.

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same here. I'm amazed at how much better the sound is just cupping my hand over the speaker. That's what prompted me to look this thread up and see what the progress on this device was and ask about compatibility with back covers. Hoping to see something on the market soon.

SoundJaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks

I had the same question. :)

Hey guys,
Thanks for your questions.... I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long. I have yet to try this on a coverbuddy but I personally own the Belkin hard shell case that works with the Smartcover. It fits fine on it. Obviously its not a perfect fit but it stays and still has the same effect, especially if you are using it while in a stationary position. Again, I'm not sure how this will act with other cases but I'm sure the results will be similar. There will be some flex in the SoundJaw to allow for certain size variations. I have attached a couple pics of how a pink one looks on my iPad. I hope it will help you decide whether or not you like it.
Thanks,
Matt

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
photojun06121016am.jpg

jnewell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It also crossed my mind that the cover could be modified to accommodate the SJ. :) That's obviously a personal choice/task.

SoundJaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Matt. Look forward the SJ being available. Any idea on a timetable?

The manufacturing is working on the mold now. He estimates three weeks (but I think that is optimistic) I would love to send them out at the end of June. But I honestly think it will be sometime in July.

SoundJaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts