1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Star Walk Bad Satellite info

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by dragon499, Jul 6, 2011.

1. dragon499

dragon499 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Based on reviews, I purchased the Star Walk app. It looks good, but provides inaccurate information:

At one location, it claimed my "home location." was in a neighboring state, 130 miles away! At the location I am at now, It claims I am in a neighboring state, this time, only 8 miles away. Is this a known issue? Do others have the same issues? This glaring bug, makes me doubt the accuracy of the astral information.
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    It seems only work with a set number of locations, and chooses the closest. That is probably to save it from having to do some really heavy calculations. Instead it can just use a precomputed table. 130 miles seems a bit extreme, but 8 miles isn't going to make much of a difference in what is visible.

It does the same thing with me, btw. It chooses a near by city. It is still close enough that I can find the constellations I'm looking for.