What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard art application file types?

Klashnikov Kid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I assume this is the correct forum to post this.

Anywho, I'm a budding web site developer and I'm looking into a screen tablet to help develop art for said pages.

Was looking at the Wacom Cintiq but couldn't justify spending that much on something that had poor reviews so now I'm looking into an ipad as a cheaper alternative. (Plus doesn't hurt having a new toy. I've never had an Apple product.)

I've been looking into it's viability as a graphic design tool and it doesn't seem too bad. I could live with limited functionality and export stuff to photoshop for additional processing. However, none of the art applications I've looked at clarify what image file types they support and allow to save as.

Is it typical for most of the art apps to use and export at least the standard jpeg and png formats? Or does the ipad really have no capability to accommodate professional designers?

Thanks!

Kingsmuse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it typical for most of the art apps to use and export at least the standard jpeg and png formats? Or does the ipad really have no capability to accommodate professional designers?

Thanks!

A couple of months ago I would have warned you away from the iPad as a graphics design tool.

However, recently a lot more options have opened up for transfering files and saving in graphic file types as well as printing.

This app ...

Sketchbook Pro

Is amazing for a limited use graphics tool and does allow saving (even layers) in .psd format for import into Photoshop.

It has also just recently gone down in price to $7.99.

This in itself allows iPad to be considered by serious graphic designers/artists.

Most reactions

Latest posts