Staggered and disgusted, obscene ads popping up on my new Air.

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Dave in Wales, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I've only had it a week or two, how and why...?

How on earth do I stop them.

My 69 year old wife was looking over my shoulder at the time, all I was doing was browsing Carphonewarehouse.

I'm using Google Chrome not Safari.

HELP.....PLEASE.

2. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    One thing you could do, although that may not completely solve the problem would be Settings>Privacy>Limit Ad Tracking. (Sorry if you have already done that).
    I know what you mean too. It's uncanny how often when watching a film on TV my wife would walk past just when THAT scene is on;)
    Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

3. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    This and isn't there a way to block pop up ads too? Pretty sure there is a setting for that as well.

4. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is if you are getting those popups via Safari, in which case: Settings>Safari>Block Pop-ups.
    Another way might be to download "AdBlocker for iOS" app from the Apple app store. That seems to be fairly successful in zapping those pop-ups including from notifications within other apps.
    Andrew

Sent from OZ using Tapatalk

5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Stay off that website. This is a web problem, not an iPad problem. Clicking random links on strange websites is a problem on any device. There are lots and lots of unsavory websites out there that just love to send strangeness to unsuspecting users. Beware.

6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Carphonewarehouse is a site selling mobile (cell) phones, perfectly reputable.

7. leelai

leelai
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This has happened to me and I didn't even touch the screen, as soon as the site loaded, up it popped.....it was quite the shock! Some sites just aren't bonafide......I'm wondering if any could be hacked for this to happen?? Anyone know??

Go into your Chrome app and press the icon which is 3 horizontal lines, top right. You'll get a list of options, select Settings, then Privacy and clear your history, cache and cookies. Press the arrow to go Back (top left) then go into Content Settings - Block popups - make sure this is on.

I hope it helps you!

8. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes i live in the UK and Carphone warehouse is reputable, their stores are every where here, I have been on their sites many times and its never happened to me, I think you have just been unlucky.

9. LannyC

LannyC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Go to the App Store and buy Weblock ($1.99). It creates a proxy that redirects ads into oblivion. I've been using it for a couple of weeks, and there are no more ads in apps, and almost none in any browser. I have detected no problems or unpleasant side effects at all. It has customizable white- and blacklists, so you're in control of what passes through to your screen, and can choose to allow ads for sites you wish to support. It's even better than Adblock for Firefox!

No affiliation, just a happy user who discovered Weblock through the Appsgonefree app.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Thanks, I've just bought Weblock, see what happens now.....?