What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SSH Password has been hacked!

jpower9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP! I have an iPad jailbroken with Spirit. I attempted to fix my gps/location bases services via WinSCP using "root" as the username and "alpine" as the password and I can't get in. I left my SSH access open in SBS settings. Since I can't get in, I can't change my password. What do i need to do?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Restore your iPad to 3.2.2 and wait for the next jailbreak. And when you do, you might want to consider NOT posting your username and password on an Internet forum.

OP
jpower9

jpower9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The username and password I posted are the stock username and password, not my personal username and password. If your iPad was Jailbroken you would know that.

I have a ton of software from Cydia, as well as Install0us. I'm not looking to go to 3.2. I'm looking for an answer to my problem.

OP
jpower9

jpower9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have the ability to toggle SSH on and off through SBSettings.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The username and password I posted are the stock username and password, not my personal username and password. If your iPad was Jailbroken you would know that.

Touche'. He got you there, Scott.:D
See, this is why I should just stay away from the jailbreaking section of the forum! For some reason, I like my iPad just the way it is with v3.2.2! Pretty stupid, huh?

OP
jpower9

jpower9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mike but that didn't work. I uninstalled openssh and reinstalled and still can't get it. What the heck could the problem be?

nooris

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't been able to get openssh to work with my ipad either (3.2 JB). I just decided to forget about it and take a 1 in a million chance that I'll be hacked into.

Jaevo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Openssh

I believe openssh is for Mac computers only via terminal. You probably are using a Mac but just in case you aren't.

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok first off I can tell that people posting here are not linux or unix users, osx is unix in a way but you get the pretty graphical end you see that works with a unix subsystem (to make it simple)...

Let me break it down first. The username and password you have of root and alpine are set by apple and generic to all i* devices. The thing is without jailbreak you would never be able to enable that access so in an "Apple" ideal world that never mattered.

Now along came jailbreaking and thus apple lost that control. It now became a risk if you enabled ssh without changing that pass word as anyone who could scan or guess you ip on port 22 would get a prompt for login. From there they would change your password to make it a bot for their purposes later, this is a maybe but you need to know what could happen if not changed.

Now, when you try to login do you get a prompt for a name and password or does it sit there doing nothing? For one you need to make sure the phone is on the same wifi network as your computer. Next you find the IP address of your device from wifi settings. You will use this ip to connect to.

If you have osx it's under applications , utilities then terminal. For windows google for putty, it's the first link.

Putty you use the ip of the phone and port 22
For osx type: ssh root@ip
of course replace ip with your devices ip address on wifi.

If you can get a prompt for password then you are at least a step closer to knowing you had you password changed. If it gets no prompt then there may be hope.

To clarify everything said, reinstalling openssh does not reset the pass word, no more than rebooting your mbp resets it's password. It's the built in user login for the device hidden in most devices but never touched. I'm on my iPad now at Disney World Polynesian hotel about to go to sleep but had to reply to this to offer some better starting points than the other guesses posted sending you in circles. Yay for vacation and always being connected lol.

Holoshed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok morning time and about to head into the parks but did some quick googlingfor you this morning and even though this is for iPhone it may work for you. I have never needed to try this myself and no time to test it but let me know how it works.

[Tutorial] Change iphone root password if you've forgotten it. - Hackint0sh

Be sure to read all pages, personally I like installing ifile and opening the file directly then pasting the generated new password from the linked site.

This works by replacing the password the system "checks against" for login so when you TRY to login, it does a "does his password match the one i have on file as correct?" in which this case it will since you told it what to check against.

Good luck!

Last edited:

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Less work to change "alpine" to your own password using "MobileTerminal" that u find In Cydia.

• Download "MobileTerminal" from Cydia and install It on your iPad.
  • Open MobileTerminal
  • In MobileTerminal, type in: su root
  • It’ll ask you for a password, type in: alpine
  • To make the screen a bit cleaner, type in: cd
  • Now, to change your password, type in: passwd
  • Enter the password you desire (You will not see the characters in the screen as you type them for security reasons)
  • Enter the password you entered once more
  • To change the password for the Mobile user, type in: passwd mobile
  • Enter the password you desire (You will not see the characters in the screen as you type them for security reasons)
  • Enter the password you entered once more
  • Reboot

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts