What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sr. Citizen Questions; Contemplated Purchaser

Robert11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Sr. Citizen, so please bear with me a bit.

Thinking of purchasing an iPad for a person with medical problems related to field of vision. Person would undoubtedly be using the unit in the narrow configuration only.

Went to Best Buy today and played with it a bit.
Happy to see that the keyboard does come up in the narrow orientation, and that their word processor "Pages", can have margins set to narrow the actual area where the typing will appear. And, that you can select the font sized. This is all just great.

I forgot to play with the Browser, Safari, though.

a. With the unit in the vertical orientation, is the width of the display for
Safari adjustable ? e.g., can it be made narrower ?

b. Can the font size be changed ?

c. I seem to remember that a few years ago I played with the Browser OPERA.
All these things, if I remember right, were doable in OPERA.

I think OPERA does NOT have a version for Apple.
*Is this correct ?

*Any other Browser that is downloadable to the tablet, in which the width of the display, in the vertical orientation, is adjustable, along with an adj. font size ?

d. What's the best guess as to when the iPad 3 will be out ? Same price likely ?

Much thanks,
appreciate the help,
Bob

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Robert11 said:
Hello,

Sr. Citizen, so please bear with me a bit.

Thinking of purchasing an iPad for a person with medical problems related to field of vision. Person would undoubtedly be using the unit in the narrow configuration only.

Went to Best Buy today and played with it a bit.
Happy to see that the keyboard does come up in the narrow orientation, and that their word processor "Pages", can have margins set to narrow the actual area where the typing will appear. And, that you can select the font sized. This is all just great.

I forgot to play with the Browser, Safari, though.

a. With the unit in the vertical orientation, is the width of the display for
Safari adjustable ? e.g., can it be made narrower ?

b. Can the font size be changed ?

c. I seem to remember that a few years ago I played with the Browser OPERA.
All these things, if I remember right, were doable in OPERA.

I think OPERA does NOT have a version for Apple.
*Is this correct ?

*Any other Browser that is downloadable to the tablet, in which the width of the display, in the vertical orientation, is adjustable, along with an adj. font size ?

d. What's the best guess as to when the iPad 3 will be out ? Same price likely ?

Much thanks,
appreciate the help,
Bob

Welcome to the forum Bob,
This s a very friendly well run forum.

These answers that follow my differ if you 'jailbreak' the iPad, allowing for wider customisations. I have nit but suggest you search up and read many threads on it.

A) you can expand but not reduce the default displayed width in Safari.

B) look in the main settings, many options to twiddle, even one for speaking characters and words as you type.

C) not sure about Opera but you can use alternative web browsers to Safari, downloaded free from the app store you will need to play with them to see which is best.

D) many claims abound but October 2012 seems the favourite

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
D) many claims abound but October 2012 seems the favourite

Everything I have heard leads me to think late Q1 or early Q2 in 2012.............but as always, none of us really know!

The Archangel

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob, the answer to your questions is yes!
The print is adjustable in narrow (portrait) mode on most screens in Safari.
Opera Mini is available for the iPad and again, print can be adjusted.
There are other browsers available from the AppStore.

Information about the iPad3 is rumor only at this point. Generally the price on the
new model is same as old one which is then reduced.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

jduncan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ipad3 will most likely be out next March. Micro Center has the ipad2 for $50 off right now.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish the iPad would've been on sale a month ago when I got mine. Sigh. Oh well.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a setting (default iirc) which when you press the home button 3 times the text is enlarged ( like using control + on a pc), it might then be more usable in landscape mode for your friend.

Please ask any questions you want without fear, as the only daft questions are the ones you don't ask :)

Most reactions

Latest posts