Sprint overdrive 4g vs MIFI for personal hotspot

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Rasputina, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a problem with my 3G connection with AT&T. Hotels are the least of my worries, I always stay at ones that have free wifi and I've never had a problem connecting, I want connection when I'm on the road, out and about without having to find an open hotspot.

2. EARL97850

EARL97850
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Those hotels that offer the free wifi are going by the wayside. Before too long there will be a fee associated with the wifi at all hotels except the most expensive ones.

Cya

3. dabears

dabears
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Personally, I think is the other way around. Wifi is becoming more mainstream that offering free wifi is way of attracting business to people.

4. LPH

LPH
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I went with the Spring Overdrive and can connect the iPad while in my classroom. It makes for a great desktop companion while I teach, however, the cost is a bit extreme. The real satisfaction is that up to 5 devices can be connected...

5. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    My personal experience is the complete opposite of that. We used to always have to pay to get access and now free wifi is quite common.

6. EARL97850

EARL97850
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Is the wifi limited to the lobby area, or just a little bit larger?

One other fact that I don't think has been mentioned is the security factor.

If you use the hotel wifi vs your own personal wifi anyone can hack into your info streaming over the airwaves.

Cya

7. Rasputina

Rasputina
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Only once was it in the lobby only and that was 4 years ago. I've had free access at every hotel I've stayed at over the last 5 years or so. But I do purposely choose hotels that have access and I don't stay at motel 6. Not to do stay at the Marriott though, well one time I did.

8. stever

stever
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Exactly.

And NOT supplying wifi, brands you as a business that does not offer services that the others offer.

So not supplying wifi, encourages customers to go elsewhere.

I don't think we are going that direction.

9. arshield

arshield
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My experience is that the cheaper the hotel the more likely it is to be free. I travel a fair bit to Chicago where my office is. And if I stay downtown at a nice hotel it is never free, if I stay at a smaller cheaper hotel in the suburbs it is almost always free.

I went with a 4g wireless hotspot through Clear. I live in Atlanta and travel a lot to Chicago, both have good 4G coverage so I didn't get the dual 3G/4G device because it is an extra $15 a month. Switching my home internet to clear and getting a mobile device was $12 a month more than my comcast cable internet. It is not as fast, but it is still connecting at about 3-4 MB a second download. The upload ranges from 450-900K upload so that is the main weakness.

10. EARL97850

EARL97850
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    My experience is that the cheaper the hotel the more likely it is to be free. I travel a fair bit to Chicago where my office is. And if I stay downtown at a nice hotel it is never free, if I stay at a smaller cheaper hotel in the suburbs it is almost always free.

This was the point I was trying to make, but wasn't very good at it.

Thank you!!!

Cya