What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sprint compression interferring with app downloads and updates?

mercat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I might be out in left field with this, but...seems like there's a correlation between a recent problem I'm having downloading and updating apps on my iPad 2 and the start of image compression on my Sprint 3G account. Over the past three weeks or so, I haven't been able to reliably download apps to my iPad. The "loading" starts and then quickly jumps to better than halfway, and then starts over. After a few times doing this, I get a pop-up saying the download (or update) couldn't complete. Sometimes, if I restart it enough times, it will finally "take." I've also noticed over the past several weeks that I get a tooltip when hovering over Web images on my home PC directing me to hit a key combination to get full resolution images ("Shift A" in Firefox, for example). Did a little searching and found out this is a Sprint compression scheme as part of its network management system. I'm operating a Sprint 3G modem (U250) plugged into a Cradlepoint CTR35 router. I've swapped out the router with another, same problem. The modem appears to be working properly, as well. I've done a hard reset of the iPad, signed out of and back into the App Store and tried other fixes I've found online - no improvement. And I don't have the download problem when working off other wireless networks - just my Sprint set up at home.

Am I reading too much into the coincidence of all this happening about the same time? Any other potential problem areas to check? Thanks.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be. I'd give your Sprint tech support a call and ask. It's possible their software is mistaking the iPad downloads as something compressible; which they probably are not.

Be polite. Explain what happening and that it started with the new service. Ask them to look into it.

It wouldn't hurt to visit a few local wi-fi hotspots and download apps there, just for comparison. You should do this for larger (over 50MB) apps anyway. 3G is rather slow for large downloads, and the longer it takes the more opportunities there are for errors to creep in.

OP
M

mercat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet. I have successfully download apps (not necessarily large ones) using various other broadband sources (Starbucks wifi, my iPhone 4S as a hotspot, etc.). I never hold out a lot of hope for getting a helpful and/or useful response from tech support for a major carrier, but guess it's worth a shot....

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
mercat said:
Thanks, twerppoet. I have successfully download apps (not necessarily large ones) using various other broadband sources (Starbucks wifi, my iPhone 4S as a hotspot, etc.). I never hold out a lot of hope for getting a helpful and/or useful response from tech support for a major carrier, but guess it's worth a shot....

You never know, you might get lucky. :)

Good luck.

Most reactions

Latest posts