What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spreadsheets..from computer to ipad

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a few spreadsheets with important information on them and was hoping i could somehow get them onto my ipad so I could update them in my stock room.....can this be done...If so how...I am new to using an ipad

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

Another comparison was undertaken here....

http://www.ipadforums.net/iwork-forum/36629-office-app-comparison.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

Apple - Support - iOS Apps - Welcome

Tim

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had sort of decided on numbers, but the spreadsheets I have are in office 2007. can i bring them into the ipad...how do i get them into numbers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are numerous ways to get them to the iPad. You can email them to the iPad, synchronise via iTunes, upload them to the Apple MobileMe iDisk from your PC and then download them to the iPad, or use a third-party app, such as GoodReader. Getting them to and from the iPad is not an issue at all.

Tim

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok got them onto the ipad..used drop box....they are there now but I need to get a spreadsheet app so I can edit them by the looks of it

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure - yes, DropBox simply imports them. But Numbers will handle most spreadsheets but, as the reviews I posted indicated, it's 'lightweight' and cannot handle some aspects of an Excel spreadsheet.

Tim

foxtrot1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, did you get a better solution to run your excel spreadsheets? What programme are u using now?

zhianzee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all documents coming from a Mac PC can suit an iPad. Is that true?

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think all documents coming from a Mac PC can suit an iPad. Is that true?

Well, in general the answer is yes. But it's a bit more complicated than that. It depends upon the program that created the spreadsheet, not the hardware that was used. If you are using Microsoft Excel (on a Windows PC or a Mac) you can import the file to your iPad as discussed above and then use a program like "Numbers" on the iPad to edit the spreadsheet. You can also use iPad apps like Documents to Go, QuickOffice, or Office HD to edit the spreadsheet. Likewise, if the Mac used Numbers to create the spreadsheet, Numbers on the iPad can read the spreadsheet. (I don't believe that the other apps can do so but I may be wrong.)

However, none of these solutions can be guaranteed to preserve the original spreadsheet precisely. That's even true of Mac Numbers -> iPad Numbers. (The latter version of Numbers, though they're both Apple products with the same name, does not have all the functionality of Mac version.) And it's absolutely true when trying to translate a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet into a format that an app on the iPad can read. The problems usually occur only with complex spreadsheets with formulas or complex formatting but they do exist. The reviews Tim cited above can provide some specific details but about the only way to be sure a particular solution works for you is to give it a try with the spreadsheet you're trying to edit.

The good news is that if you purchase one of the iPad apps (e.g. Documents to Go, Numbers, etc.) and find that it doesn't work for you, you can certainly get a refund by contacting Apple customer support as described in iTunes.

OP
clermont

clermont

iPF Novice
Reaction score
HI Yes I am using the spreadsheets quite well on the Ipad..I usually create them on the computer, move them to dropbox..and then use numbers to use them on the ipad...works well with my inventory and sales sheets, postage records etc...but is limited...but works fine for what I need....
I think it is great.... take the ipad to the stock room and just adjust the inventory when I remove the stock and dropbox sync with the other computers so all 3... laptop.. desktop and ipad are all the same...great time saver....

Most reactions

Latest posts