What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spreadsheet & Word Processing

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just tried to download Excel spreadsheet for 1st time but can't open it.

Do I need separate programs to use Excel and Word, if so, which one is best?

TimmiAndi

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just tried to download Excel spreadsheet for 1st time but can't open it.

Do I need separate programs to use Excel and Word, if so, which one is best?

Hi TimmiAndi - welcome to the forum! :) Quoted below are the specs from Apple for the file formats that can be opened by the iPad as mail attachments - Word & Excel files are included, so if you are sent these files as attacments to an email, then the iPad should be able to at least open them for viewing - now if you want to open these files in an app for editing, then that is a different matter, i.e. you will need specific programs, such as those in iWork (Pages & Numbers)​ for that purpose - I'll stop there and please respond for further advise - Dave

Viewable document types: .jpg, .tiff, .gif (images); .doc and .docx (Microsoft Word); .htm and .html (web pages); .key (Keynote); .numbers (Numbers); .pages (Pages); .pdf (Preview and Adobe Acrobat); .ppt and .pptx (Microsoft PowerPoint); .txt (text); .rtf (rich text format); .vcf (contact information); .xls and .xlsx (Microsoft Excel)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
To add to what giradman says (another way to try to open the file): if you have received an Excel file as an attachment and it won't open when you tap it, press and hold the file. A pop-up should appear (the "Open In" window). One of the options is "Quick View." Pressing that should make the Excel file open in your Mail app.

You won't be able to edit it, but at least you can view it.

Marilyn

OP
T

TimmiAndi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I brought Pages and am trying to get to grips with it after using MS for 20 years - how do I change the name of an existing document.

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I brought Pages and am trying to get to grips with it after using MS for 20 years - how do I change the name of an existing document.

In the documents "library" view....

image-3631681680.jpg

... Tap on the document name to open the document name edit box.

HTH

Richard

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Most reactions