What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spreadsheet messages

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I open Numbers nowadays it appears with the last spreadsheet then after a few seconds that spreadsheet disappears for some seconds and then reappears. Around this time an error message appears which says "Some changes were made to your spreadsheet. The font Calibri is missing. Your text might look different."

Until IOS 7 this never happened. The spreadsheet used to open straight away without a problem. That error message only applied if I produced a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel and copied it to my iPad. But now I get it when the spreadsheet has been nowhere near my home computer. Am I doing something wrong?

A similar effect is found in Pages.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hello Bluejak. I get this error message as well in both apps that you refer. That is why in MS Office, or Excel, I use Helvetica--this font is more universal. When you launch either app on your iPad, depending on your network speed, you'll see the app stop or blink out, that is because you have your document on iCloud and the iPad is automatically syncing your work.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you've upgraded to the newest versions of the iWorks apps you may see messages like this a bit more often. The file format changed and each document will need to be imported at least once.

If you upgraded the apps on the iPad, but did not do so on your Mac (if you have one) or other iOS devices that use the same iCloud account, you may see it a lot, as each app has to change the format to it can be opened.

This used to happen all the time with the older versions, at least between the Mac and iOS versions. With the new versions, Mac and iOS, the file format is common across both platforms.

Edit: I seem to remember a blog article that mentioned that the new version of iWorks also change the font pack a bit; which could be another reason you're seeing conversion messages you did not see before.

Last edited:
OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't use a Mac. Some of these documents originated on my ordinary computer using Windows. But surely they are no longer synced with my ordinary computer. Could the solution be to copy the data open a new file and paste the data into that? Then they will not have any connection with a Microsoft-based font.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just let the font convert when the iPad imports the file. It should not have to do it more than once, as long as the file stays in Numbers' native format.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Bluejak. I get this error message as well in both apps that you refer. That is why in MS Office, or Excel, I use Helvetica--this font is more universal. When you launch either app on your iPad, depending on your network speed, you'll see the app stop or blink out, that is because you have your document on iCloud and the iPad is automatically syncing your work.

Nice to see that apple and pencil again, Matt:) Compliments of the season to you!
Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As far as I know, I do let it convert. But the message keeps repeating.

Ok. I'm at a loss then. Can you take a screen shot of the message and post it? If it contains any personal information you can use the free Skitch app to obscure those parts of the image before posting.

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok. I'm at a loss then. Can you take a screen shot of the message and post it? If it contains any personal information you can use the free Skitch app to obscure those parts of the image before posting.
I tried a screenshot as an experiment and tried the home and power buttons together. Shutter sound as promised, good! But now where do I find the screenshot?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried a screenshot as an experiment and tried the home and power buttons together. Shutter sound as promised, good! But now where do I find the screenshot?
The screenshot will appear in your camera roll.

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screenshot will appear in your camera roll.

Of course, silly me, I should have looked there.

image-2143300932.jpg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
And the message happens over and over again on the same document?

It almost sounds as if nothing is getting saved. Have you made any changes to the document, and are they there when you open it again, with the message again.

You could also try opening it on desktop browser at the icloud.com site; if you have one; to see what it does there.

OP
Bluejak

Bluejak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And the message happens over and over again on the same document? It almost sounds as if nothing is getting saved. Have you made any changes to the document, and are they there when you open it again, with the message again. You could also try opening it on desktop browser at the icloud.com site; if you have one; to see what it does there.

All changes that I make are saved because they are perfectly all right next time. The only problem is this silly message that keeps recurring.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
All I can think of is that the file is keeping the tags (or whatever) for that font, even after the conversion, so you are getting a substitution warning every time.

If it won't mess up your formatting too bad, you could try selecting all the text in the document and converting it to another font, than back to whatever font you wanted. Try it out on an unimportant document (or a duplicate) and see if it makes any difference.

Most reactions

Latest posts