Spreadsheet messages

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Bluejak, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Bluejak

Bluejak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When I open Numbers nowadays it appears with the last spreadsheet then after a few seconds that spreadsheet disappears for some seconds and then reappears. Around this time an error message appears which says "Some changes were made to your spreadsheet. The font Calibri is missing. Your text might look different."

Until IOS 7 this never happened. The spreadsheet used to open straight away without a problem. That error message only applied if I produced a spreadsheet in Microsoft Excel and copied it to my iPad. But now I get it when the spreadsheet has been nowhere near my home computer. Am I doing something wrong?

A similar effect is found in Pages.

2. MattIM

MattIM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Hello Bluejak. I get this error message as well in both apps that you refer. That is why in MS Office, or Excel, I use Helvetica--this font is more universal. When you launch either app on your iPad, depending on your network speed, you'll see the app stop or blink out, that is because you have your document on iCloud and the iPad is automatically syncing your work.

3. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If you've upgraded to the newest versions of the iWorks apps you may see messages like this a bit more often. The file format changed and each document will need to be imported at least once.

If you upgraded the apps on the iPad, but did not do so on your Mac (if you have one) or other iOS devices that use the same iCloud account, you may see it a lot, as each app has to change the format to it can be opened.

This used to happen all the time with the older versions, at least between the Mac and iOS versions. With the new versions, Mac and iOS, the file format is common across both platforms.

Edit: I seem to remember a blog article that mentioned that the new version of iWorks also change the font pack a bit; which could be another reason you're seeing conversion messages you did not see before.

#3 twerppoet, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  4. Bluejak

Bluejak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I don't use a Mac. Some of these documents originated on my ordinary computer using Windows. But surely they are no longer synced with my ordinary computer. Could the solution be to copy the data open a new file and paste the data into that? Then they will not have any connection with a Microsoft-based font.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Just let the font convert when the iPad imports the file. It should not have to do it more than once, as long as the file stays in Numbers' native format.

6. Bluejak

Bluejak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    As far as I know, I do let it convert. But the message keeps repeating.

7. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice to see that apple and pencil again, Matt:) Compliments of the season to you!
    Andrew

Sent from Oz using Tapatalk

8. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Ok. I'm at a loss then. Can you take a screen shot of the message and post it? If it contains any personal information you can use the free Skitch app to obscure those parts of the image before posting.

9. Bluejak

Bluejak
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I tried a screenshot as an experiment and tried the home and power buttons together. Shutter sound as promised, good! But now where do I find the screenshot?

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The screenshot will appear in your camera roll.