What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Split screen

llbiessen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
brought up safari, tried to split screen and mailboxes screen comes up, how do I get to other apps from here. I tried turning off and turning back on and it does the same thing .

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There should be a small line at the top. Tap it and slide down:
image.jpeg

Then you'll be able to scroll through your apps:
image.png

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
And isn't it terrific. I upgraded from Ipad Air to iPad pro 13" and the difference in using slide over vs split is extremely useful for me. Looking forward to IOS 10 with improvements to Split,

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What kind of improvements will IOS 10 bring to split screen? I had an iPad Pro and returned it due to lack of split screen practicality IMO.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only announced change was the abilithy to run two instances of Safari side by side.

Some tech journalists are wondering if we'll see a 10.2 or 10.3 update with some iPad goodies later in the year; like we did last year with iOS 9. Apple no longer seems to feel it has to save all features for WWDC and the initial iOS update. But that is speculation. Only time will tell.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So now that IOS 10 is out are their any changes notable for the iPad Pro 12.9? As I stated above I returned an iPad Pro a while back because I purchased it with high hopes of split screen and slid over. I was sorely disappointed with those. I purchased an iPad Air 2 instead to replace my aging iPad Air and to keep up with what was going on with split screen. In the end I decided to get the Pro again becuase I missed the screen size and I love the on-screen keyboard compared with the Air2 (even though I use a Bluetooth keyboard most the time) This is an iPad that spends its whole life on a stand. Sooo, I'm still on the latest of IOS9, are their any notable differences to go to 10?

It's amazing what just expectations can do. As disappointed I was the first time around I couldn't be more pleased with it this time around.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The only major difference in multitasking for iOS 10 is that Safari will now let you view two websites in split screen. This is all done within the Safari app, as opposed to the usual slideover and split screen modes for combining apps.

App slideover and split screen still require the developer to include the ability in their app, however almost all productivity app developers have done this. At least the ones that are still actively supporting their apps.

Most of the other iOS 10 improvements are focused on the iPhone. There are a lot of them, and some affect both platforms; but none of them have a major impact on how the iPad and multitasking work. The biggest changes that affect the iPad are the new Messages app and how Notifications and Widgets are handled.

Other changes are going to take time to show, and won't be supper obvious. Apple has given developers more access to Siri. Certain classes of apps will be able to use Siri in the same way that Apple's app do. Like the multitasking, it's up to developers to implement the new features, so roll out will take sometime.

If you've got some time, you can always watch the event keynote.
Apple Events - Apple Special Events

One warning. Most Apple events end with a music performance. This time it's a bit odd. Even stranger than the bit of fun they have at the start.

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'll hang on to 9 for a little while longer while I learn more about 10 and see how it develops. 9 works great now anyway.

If I could have a wish list for slide over and split screen is:

The ability to run ALL apps side by side weather or not the developers support it. That would be a software re design, I know. I still can't find a calculator app I like and mine is not supported.

Better control of the selectable apps in the side bar. Their are too many! We need to be able to flick some away. Just like how we close out apps in multitasking. I don't want to scroll through so many apps just to get to a few I use regularly.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'll hang on to 9 for a little while longer while I learn more about 10 and see how it develops. 9 works great now anyway.

If I could have a wish list for slide over and split screen is:

The ability to run ALL apps side by side weather or not the developers support it. That would be a software re design, I know. I still can't find a calculator app I like and mine is not supported.

Better control of the selectable apps in the side bar. Their are too many! We need to be able to flick some away. Just like how we close out apps in multitasking. I don't want to scroll through so many apps just to get to a few I use regularly.
Of your two wishes, the second one is the only one that has any chance of ever being in a future iOS update. The first wish would change the very core of how iOS works.

Most reactions

Latest posts