What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am curious to know how people who use remote pc apps like splashtop and pocket cloud feel about the interface. Here you have a beautiful iPad interface and then you overlay old Windows interface on it and then try to insert sense of touch to Windows interface that it was not designed for. This seems like a bad user interface no matter how you cut it but people use it because there is no better alternative or what?
Depending on one's hardware and software configuration, connecting to Windows or OSX remotely can extend the iPad's functionality dramaticaly. These programs are very important to some of us and work extremely well.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Especially those of us that like to use gimp or Photoshop while watching me some football from my laZboy while the pc is in another room.....without a tv.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am curious to know how people who use remote pc apps like splashtop and pocket cloud feel about the interface. Here you have a beautiful iPad interface and then you overlay old Windows interface on it and then try to insert sense of touch to Windows interface that it was not designed for. This seems like a bad user interface no matter how you cut it but people use it because there is no better alternative or what?

The touch interface is cute and all, but let's get real: it's not conducive to serious productivity, which requires actual input. Splashtop lets me work on my iPad, and when I'm working I fire up the wireless keyboard rather than try to tap around in Office. It's no more difficult than using a netbook with 10" display. And when I'm done, it's back to "cool gadget" mode. It's two, two, two mints in one!

NYHorsewoman

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was a big user of Gotomypc with my laptop and then on the iPad but then I found Splashtop and never looked back. In fact I canceled by gotomypc subscription because I never use my laptop anymore and it was costing me $170 or so while Splashtop was a few bucks. I use it all the time to access my home Windows computer and work only iPad, it's awesome, you can enlarge the screen with pinch and zoom if it is too small for you to see initially.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
When I learned about remote desktop apps for the iPad, that was the final and decisive piece of information that motivated me to buy an iPad.

After trying first iTeleport and then LogMein, with Splashtop, I finally have the remote desktop app I've been looking for.

I use my iPad 2 to remotely access software programs on my MacBook Pro for which there is no iPad app version like my grading software program and sending files to my iPad via Dropbox. This more detailed review of the product is based on using Splashtop in this context.

The responsiveness to commands is fast enough that I'm able to focus on my task with very little wait time within my software program. Because I almost forget that I'm using a program from my laptop at home, I'm spending a greater amount of time each day using Splashtop.

There are two occasions when I am aware of the difference between using a remote app and my laptop. The first is when I'm dragging an open folder on the screen. The folder does respond with a slight lag as if it's been dragged by an invisible "leash," but this doesn't interfere with my productivity and is more of an interesting quirk.

The second is when I'm dragging a file from one folder to another. I'm experiencing some "misfires," e.g., I'll be presented with a series of unwanted options when I tap an icon. Perhaps this slightly frustrating issue will become less of a problem the more I use the Splashtop app.

This app has had an immediate and positive effect on my work efficiency. Having to wait until the end of a 15 hour work day to complete data entry at home was daunting. I truly apperciate being able to record students' grades immediately and sending a PDF of them to my iPad in Dropbox.

Splashtop is a winner!

vj531

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
Is it possible to view all video, play games (simple adventures) with sound that can be run on a Windows 7 pc home network, on my 'new' Ipad, using Splashtop?

many thanks
Stephen

danielgfreeman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vj531 said:
Hi
Is it possible to view all video, play games (simple adventures) with sound that can be run on a Windows 7 pc home network, on my 'new' Ipad, using Splashtop?

many thanks
Stephen

I never had any problems doing this with my Windows 7 machine.
SplashTop is a great app IMO.

vj531

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never had any problems doing this with my Windows 7 machine.
SplashTop is a great app IMO.

Splashtop 9/10 :thumbs: Had a problem installing the streamer on my wife's machine. They have a link to files on there site that solved this for me. Great app

Most reactions

Latest posts