Splashtop

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Boblins, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Boblins

Boblins iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see splashtop app is on sale. Is it as good as the reviews are saying about it for a remote access to your desktop?
  2. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    Welcome! Splashtop is one of my favorite and most used app!
  3. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Really? I have it and rarely use it. Tell me again why I should go back and explore it knowing my school background.
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I leave my flash drive in my desktop, so when I am out in the field I always have access to my desktop and all client files, info and reports that are on that flash drive. Also If I need to access my computer for anything ~ it is sweet. And I always do.

Just last night I was on the couch on my ipad and wanted to change my avatar ( yes, again! ) and I did it through ST! Keep in mind when I say I use it more than any other app ~ I only have like 15 apps IF that, and that includes all my JB ones, of TWO. lol!
  5. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    So if I told you I have 245 apps on mine, you would be astounded, right? Does this mean you have to leave your laptop on all day then? My iPad original doesn't have 3G so it would be my iPhone 4 that would be accessed. I have to use glasses so I'm wondering if I could SEE the small screen. I've tried using the wi-fi in our school but it is sketchy at best.
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    My desktop is always on as we rarely turn it off. Once, though, my daughter was charging her ipod and took OUT my flash drive. Don't know why when there are numerous slots ~ so here I was out in the field and had to access a client's meds and low and behold, no flash drive was in there!

ST can do so much, Hayle ~ I barely touch the surface, I'm sure. 245 ​apps? Seriously? Wow!
  7. Hayles66

Hayles66 iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +324 / 0
    Yes, I know, appaholic I am. Each time I try to delete them I decide that i will need it once they are gone. Although if it is in the way of important music, it's gone except my favourites. How is that new Mac of yours shaping up?
  8. Asharp

Asharp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    I am so happy I found this thread.

I've been having problems with Splashtop since I downloaded it. I can finally get it to work from home, but not from work where I need it, so I archived it in iTunes and went back to using Logmein.

I was wondering if it's worth it to switch back and try again: Logmein is dependable but as slow as molasses. I have to leave key folders open on my desktop before leaving home to reduce the time it takes to access important information.

What's it like to open programs, folders and files using Splashtop from a distance as compared to opening them on a computer?

If it's slow but not all that bad, I would seriously consider trying a few ideas to solve my log in problems and try using it again.
  9. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Did you enter your gmail info into the pc streamer program & iPad app....which allows you to find your pc from anywhere in the world.
  10. Asharp

Asharp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    Thank you for your help. Yes I did.

Since my last post, I experimented with the energy settings in the system preferences folder of my laptop and that seems to have solved the initial problem concerning the ability of the iPad to find my computer remotely. I think that once I enter my security code everything should be alright. (I don't have it memorized and so I can't log in today.)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    What PC or Mac OS version are connecting to? If you get Splashtop going, please let us know how the two compare for you in terms of speed, etc. Good Luck! :)
  12. Spiritinthesky

Spiritinthesky iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It took me a while to set it up, but it is good now I have it working.
  13. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Glad to hear you got it working....
    Also, if you haven't already, install dropbox on ipad and pc. Acts as a networked shared drive. Free with a 2gb limit...anymore then it's supscription. So anything you drag into the dropbox folder on pc shows up in the dropbox app on the ipad where then you can use the "open in" functionality to open the file with any compatible app on the ipad.
  14. Asharp

Asharp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    Thank you for your advice about the apps. I love Dropbox. Although iWork.com is working out just fine as a substitute of sorts, I wish Pages was integrated with Dropbox. Hopefully it will be in a future update.

I've completed a quick test of Splashtop and it is noticeably faster than LogMein. I normally use Verizon 3G for the Internet and under the same conditions, I definitely find Splashtop more satisfying to use. It is certainly faster to open folders and easier to drag open windows around the screen than it is with LogMein. When dragging open windows on the screen, (I have a MacBook Pro at home), the lag time is still short enough to be able to successfully place a window where I want without it being frustrating.

I did experience a problem dragging the entire screen about, something I can do with LogMein, but that is due to my being a Splashtop novice and I need to go back and reread the gestures explanations. I'm probably just inadvertently using a LogMein habit with the Splashtop app.

I'll start using it more often now and if I have anything more to add, I'll give an update!
  15. DocSync

DocSync iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am curious to know how people who use remote pc apps like splashtop and pocket cloud feel about the interface. Here you have a beautiful iPad interface and then you overlay old Windows interface on it and then try to insert sense of touch to Windows interface that it was not designed for. This seems like a bad user interface no matter how you cut it but people use it because there is no better alternative or what?
  16. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Depending on one's hardware and software configuration, connecting to Windows or OSX remotely can extend the iPad's functionality dramaticaly. These programs are very important to some of us and work extremely well.
  17. OUTL4W

OUTL4W iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Especially those of us that like to use gimp or Photoshop while watching me some football from my laZboy while the pc is in another room.....without a tv.
  18. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    The touch interface is cute and all, but let's get real: it's not conducive to serious productivity, which requires actual input. Splashtop lets me work on my iPad, and when I'm working I fire up the wireless keyboard rather than try to tap around in Office. It's no more difficult than using a netbook with 10" display. And when I'm done, it's back to "cool gadget" mode. It's two, two, two mints in one!
  19. NYHorsewoman

NYHorsewoman iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was a big user of Gotomypc with my laptop and then on the iPad but then I found Splashtop and never looked back. In fact I canceled by gotomypc subscription because I never use my laptop anymore and it was costing me $170 or so while Splashtop was a few bucks. I use it all the time to access my home Windows computer and work only iPad, it's awesome, you can enlarge the screen with pinch and zoom if it is too small for you to see initially.
  20. Asharp

Asharp iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    When I learned about remote desktop apps for the iPad, that was the final and decisive piece of information that motivated me to buy an iPad.

After trying first iTeleport and then LogMein, with Splashtop, I finally have the remote desktop app I've been looking for.

I use my iPad 2 to remotely access software programs on my MacBook Pro for which there is no iPad app version like my grading software program and sending files to my iPad via Dropbox. This more detailed review of the product is based on using Splashtop in this context.

The responsiveness to commands is fast enough that I'm able to focus on my task with very little wait time within my software program. Because I almost forget that I'm using a program from my laptop at home, I'm spending a greater amount of time each day using Splashtop.

There are two occasions when I am aware of the difference between using a remote app and my laptop. The first is when I'm dragging an open folder on the screen. The folder does respond with a slight lag as if it's been dragged by an invisible "leash," but this doesn't interfere with my productivity and is more of an interesting quirk.

The second is when I'm dragging a file from one folder to another. I'm experiencing some "misfires," e.g., I'll be presented with a series of unwanted options when I tap an icon. Perhaps this slightly frustrating issue will become less of a problem the more I use the Splashtop app.

This app has had an immediate and positive effect on my work efficiency. Having to wait until the end of a 15 hour work day to complete data entry at home was daunting. I truly apperciate being able to record students' grades immediately and sending a PDF of them to my iPad in Dropbox.

Splashtop is a winner!