What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop

Boblins

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see splashtop app is on sale. Is it as good as the reviews are saying about it for a remote access to your desktop?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Really? I have it and rarely use it. Tell me again why I should go back and explore it knowing my school background.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I leave my flash drive in my desktop, so when I am out in the field I always have access to my desktop and all client files, info and reports that are on that flash drive. Also If I need to access my computer for anything ~ it is sweet. And I always do.

Just last night I was on the couch on my ipad and wanted to change my avatar ( yes, again! ) and I did it through ST! Keep in mind when I say I use it more than any other app ~ I only have like 15 apps IF that, and that includes all my JB ones, of TWO. lol!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So if I told you I have 245 apps on mine, you would be astounded, right? Does this mean you have to leave your laptop on all day then? My iPad original doesn't have 3G so it would be my iPhone 4 that would be accessed. I have to use glasses so I'm wondering if I could SEE the small screen. I've tried using the wi-fi in our school but it is sketchy at best.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My desktop is always on as we rarely turn it off. Once, though, my daughter was charging her ipod and took OUT my flash drive. Don't know why when there are numerous slots ~ so here I was out in the field and had to access a client's meds and low and behold, no flash drive was in there!

ST can do so much, Hayle ~ I barely touch the surface, I'm sure. 245 ​apps? Seriously? Wow!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I know, appaholic I am. Each time I try to delete them I decide that i will need it once they are gone. Although if it is in the way of important music, it's gone except my favourites. How is that new Mac of yours shaping up?

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am so happy I found this thread.

I've been having problems with Splashtop since I downloaded it. I can finally get it to work from home, but not from work where I need it, so I archived it in iTunes and went back to using Logmein.

I was wondering if it's worth it to switch back and try again: Logmein is dependable but as slow as molasses. I have to leave key folders open on my desktop before leaving home to reduce the time it takes to access important information.

What's it like to open programs, folders and files using Splashtop from a distance as compared to opening them on a computer?

If it's slow but not all that bad, I would seriously consider trying a few ideas to solve my log in problems and try using it again.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am so happy I found this thread.

I've been having problems with Splashtop since I downloaded it. I can finally get it to work from home, but not from work where I need it, so I archived it in iTunes and went back to using Logmein.

I was wondering if it's worth it to switch back and try again: Logmein is dependable but as slow as molasses. I have to leave key folders open on my desktop before leaving home to reduce the time it takes to access important information.

What's it like to open programs, folders and files using Splashtop from a distance as compared to opening them on a computer?

If it's slow but not all that bad, I would seriously consider trying a few ideas to solve my log in problems and try using it again.

Did you enter your gmail info into the pc streamer program & iPad app....which allows you to find your pc from anywhere in the world.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OUTL4W said:
Did you enter your gmail info into the pc streamer program & iPad app....which allows you to find your pc from anywhere in the world.

Thank you for your help. Yes I did.

Since my last post, I experimented with the energy settings in the system preferences folder of my laptop and that seems to have solved the initial problem concerning the ability of the iPad to find my computer remotely. I think that once I enter my security code everything should be alright. (I don't have it memorized and so I can't log in today.)

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was wondering if it's worth it to switch back and try again: Logmein is dependable but as slow as molasses.

What PC or Mac OS version are connecting to? If you get Splashtop going, please let us know how the two compare for you in terms of speed, etc. Good Luck! :)

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Spiritinthesky said:
It took me a while to set it up, but it is good now I have it working.

Glad to hear you got it working....
Also, if you haven't already, install dropbox on ipad and pc. Acts as a networked shared drive. Free with a 2gb limit...anymore then it's supscription. So anything you drag into the dropbox folder on pc shows up in the dropbox app on the ipad where then you can use the "open in" functionality to open the file with any compatible app on the ipad.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice about the apps. I love Dropbox. Although iWork.com is working out just fine as a substitute of sorts, I wish Pages was integrated with Dropbox. Hopefully it will be in a future update.

I've completed a quick test of Splashtop and it is noticeably faster than LogMein. I normally use Verizon 3G for the Internet and under the same conditions, I definitely find Splashtop more satisfying to use. It is certainly faster to open folders and easier to drag open windows around the screen than it is with LogMein. When dragging open windows on the screen, (I have a MacBook Pro at home), the lag time is still short enough to be able to successfully place a window where I want without it being frustrating.

I did experience a problem dragging the entire screen about, something I can do with LogMein, but that is due to my being a Splashtop novice and I need to go back and reread the gestures explanations. I'm probably just inadvertently using a LogMein habit with the Splashtop app.

I'll start using it more often now and if I have anything more to add, I'll give an update!

DocSync

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am curious to know how people who use remote pc apps like splashtop and pocket cloud feel about the interface. Here you have a beautiful iPad interface and then you overlay old Windows interface on it and then try to insert sense of touch to Windows interface that it was not designed for. This seems like a bad user interface no matter how you cut it but people use it because there is no better alternative or what?

Most reactions

Latest posts