What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop worth the money? YES!

OP
Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick question on Splashtop, will it work over your home network without going over the net like TeamViewer and LogMeIn Pro do?
I'm looking for a solution for home that has a good auto refresh and doesn't engage your internet connection. VNC isn't up to the job as you need to manually refresh the screen - server side updates do not refresh automatically.

Yes, over your home network it is VERY fast and easy to setup!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have it running on both osx and win7 boxes, but find it easier just to use zumocast on them to find docs, pics and stream videos. Lazy I guess :) but it's still great value for money.
+1 on Zumocast. That app is amazing. It seems to play whatever I throw at it.

Since I can play just about all media that is on my PCs via Zumocast on my iPad--and iPhone--mainly use Splashtop for anything that needs flash and a few flash games. I am amazed it is so quick--fasted remote app out there for graphics and audio.

Definitely worth the $2!

Michael

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A quick question on Splashtop, will it work over your home network without going over the net like TeamViewer and LogMeIn Pro do?
I'm looking for a solution for home that has a good auto refresh and doesn't engage your internet connection. VNC isn't up to the job as you need to manually refresh the screen - server side updates do not refresh automatically.

It works at home and remote. It auto discovers local servers too.

Thanks, sounds perfect.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, over your home network it is VERY fast and easy to setup!

Thanks.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I installed Splashtop on my PC (Vista) and on my iPad, but it says it "Could not reach (my IP address)". Windows firewall appears to be setup OK, but do I have to open that port on my router?

OP
Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you left the splash top remote on your PC running? Does it have an ip selected? You may need to open the 3 ports it uses if you have a picky router. But it should have found it all by itself.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've installed the lite version of Splashtop to trial it and I am impressed - it works well. I have one question, if I let it time out during the trial 5 mins then it disconnects and returns my desktop to it's normal resolution.
If I exit the application on my iPad instead before the 5 mins is up, it leaves the desktop as it is i.e. reduced to 1024x768 resolution.
Does the full version have a disconnect option?

OP
Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've installed the lite version of Splashtop to trial it and I am impressed - it works well. I have one question, if I let it time out during the trial 5 mins then it disconnects and returns my desktop to it's normal resolution.
If I exit the application on my iPad instead before the 5 mins is up, it leaves the desktop as it is i.e. reduced to 1024x768 resolution.

Yes, when you leave the app the PC returns to normal.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you left the splash top remote on your PC running? Does it have an ip selected? You may need to open the 3 ports it uses if you have a picky router. But it should have found it all by itself.
Yes, it is running on the PC. I have used other RDP program/app combinations like TeamViewer and RemotePC Host with no issues, but this might need a little tweaking... when I get a round tuit.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Yes, when you leave the app the PC returns to normal.

Hmm, that's my point - it didn't for me. Perhaps it is just the lite version that does this?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I installed Splashtop on my PC (Vista) and on my iPad, but it says it "Could not reach (my IP address)". Windows firewall appears to be setup OK, but do I have to open that port on my router?

Remember when you port forward to forward 6783-6785

it takes 3 ports to login.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Like the way it reminds you of the gestures to emulate the mouse on loading. Nice thing is they are well chosen to copy many of the trackpad gestures.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com

There is no "Disconnect" I have found, but I have logged quite a few hours of use and I have not seen the desktop get left at 1025x768, it reverts back to the native resolution.

I have found that it does not work with Windows Medicenter. However, I am not surprised, as I have yet to find any RDP that will work with MediaCenter.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score

There is no "Disconnect" I have found, but I have logged quite a few hours of use and I have not seen the desktop get left at 1025x768, it reverts back to the native resolution.

I have found that it does not work with Windows Medicenter. However, I am not surprised, as I have yet to find any RDP that will work with MediaCenter.

Thanks. It may just be an issue with the trial - if I let the 5 min time limit run out then the app would shut down and the desktop would return to it's original state. If I closed the trial app before the 5 min time limit was up then the desktop would stay at it's reduced state i.e. 1024x768 until I did a reboot.
I'm pretty sure I will be purchasing this though as it does work very well for my needs and I also like the fact you can easily disable the server when not required.

Most reactions

Latest posts