What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop on a different network

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You extendedforecast. I really appreciate all the time it took you to explain this. I'm afraid to do all of that. I've had my iPad 6 weeks or so and I just found out I had to update it on iTunes. I only have 2 apps. I'm a computer-luzer. I love my iPad but I don't think I will ever be at Starbucks with Splashtop working. My router is owned by our cable company and I'm afraid to mess around with all the port stuff. Thanks again, I bet someone more adventurous than I am will appreciate your help also.

Reaction score
Check out Team Viewer. It's free and works over 3g and non home wifi with 0 extra effort or add ons.
Just follow the easy instructions on the Ipad and desktop and your done.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out Team Viewer. It's free and works over 3g and non home wifi with 0 extra effort or add ons.

Support Our Troops!!

Off to Starbucks to see if I did it correctly..thanks

nicki

55julie55

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Extendedforecast,
Can you tell me if it will allow us to use the Australian abc Iview from our home computer while traveling.
We are geographically locked out in Vanuatu on the iPad

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Extendedforecast,
Can you tell me if it will allow us to use the Australian abc Iview from our home computer while traveling.
We are geographically locked out in Vanuatu on the iPad

You can use splashtop as a way to get around region blocks, yes. But it will be choppy.

Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!

nicki

Looking forward to hear how it works out.
I've got it working on my phone and Ipad away from home.
I've also got Splashtop working on the Ipad away from home but it is a bit wonky, flaky, erratic

Support Our Troops!!

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Support Our Troops!!

nicki

Looking forward to hear how it works out.
I've got it working on my phone and Ipad away from home.
I've also got Splashtop working on the Ipad away from home but it is a bit wonky, flaky, erratic

Support Our Troops!!

Magic stuff!! It worked without having to do anything too hard for me. Do you know if I can change the Team Viewer password and username they gave me for my computer? Thanks so much for telling me about this app...I have 4 apps now wooo weee

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad you are up and running! I will install Team Viewer too.

As someone said...yes you can get around IP restrictions but it may not be the best quality from a different network. Does anyone know if using the VNC service rather than the Remote Desktop Protocol might make it any better?

I use remote VNC on my linux desktop sometimes from my office...and it seems to be a little less laggy than splashtop and RDP on Windows. I don't know if installing a VNC client on windows might help??

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score

As someone said...yes you can get around IP restrictions but it may not be the best quality from a different network. Does anyone know if using the VNC service rather than the Remote Desktop Protocol might make it any better?

I use remote VNC on my linux desktop sometimes from my office...and it seems to be a little less laggy than splashtop and RDP on Windows. I don't know if installing a VNC client on windows might help??

VNC, IMO, looks a bit better. The one serious downside to it is the lack of sound. AFAIK, there is no real work around for that. If I want to watch a video, Splashtop is as good as I've seen!

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
antonio107 said:
You can use splashtop as a way to get around region blocks, yes. But it will be choppy.

Thanks anything is better than nought!

NP!

As a side note, if you ever wanna watch US content, iswifter is a "flash browser" that is housed in the U.S. As a Canadian, it has been my only access to CBS, Hulu, and other American goodies! :)

Reaction score

If I want to watch a video, Splashtop is as good as I've seen!

Agreed but 99.9% if the things I use my desktop for require no sound so Team Viewer is fine for me when away from home .
While waiting in a long grocery line today I uploaded some photos from my desktop to Dropbox website so I could download them to my phone via the Dropbox app. That was a "this is just cool " moment.

Support Our Troops!!

Last edited:

Most reactions