What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Splashtop on a different network

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it all setup for using at home and works awesome. But how do I get on my computer when iam on a different wifi? Would be awesome to access when iam out and about.

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
jamesmckeephx said:
I got it all setup for using at home and works awesome. But how do I get on my computer when iam on a different wifi? Would be awesome to access when iam out and about.

You need to go on the computer you want to connect to, and get the IP address from it. Then go to your app. I think in the top right hand corner you click something to manually add a computer. Type in the IP address, and it should work. The only problem I had is that it didn't save the computer after I closed the app. Maybe I missed a save option, I don't know.

OP
J

jamesmckeephx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you have that computer set up with a static ip address, it will be constantly changing.[/QUOTE]

How do you do that?

Reaction score
Sign into your Gmail on the desktop and Ipad app under experimental settings. It somehow links via the Gmail account when away from the home wifi

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was just reading their support page and it said to turn on "Internet discovery feature" in both the app and the streamer (only works in windows however)

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went and did the experimental and gmail thing at a different wi-fi place and I got the green check marks but it did not work. Do I have to do something at my home computer before I go? I took the directions with me from their webpage and it did not say anything else to do but what I did. help I sure hope I can get this to work. Cool app

Reaction score
I just went and did the experimental and gmail thing at a different wi-fi place and I got the green check marks but it did not work. Do I have to do something at my home computer before I go?

You have to do the same thing on the desktop. It only needs to be done once.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just went and did the experimental and gmail thing at a different wi-fi place and I got the green check marks but it did not work. Do I have to do something at my home computer before I go?

Support Our Troops!

But where do I do on my computer. Sorry to be so dense but I am new to the Ipad2. I brought up the remote on my computer but I don't know what to changeto make it work on other wi-fi's. Twice now I have made my husband take me to a strange wi-fi to try this! ha Starbucks thinks I am a stalker because I don't like coffee only their wi-fi

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The gmail expirimental sign in isn't very reliable. Its completely touch and go.

The best way to do this is to go into your routers controls and set up a port forward for the three ports that Spashtop uses and forward the connection to your desktop/laptop internal IP. If your router uses DHCP to assign internal IPs then you'll need to reserve a permenant one for your desktop (like 192.168.1.100.)

If you don't have a static IP address from your internet/cable company and if your router supports it - you can sign up for dynamic dns (www.dyndns.com) which will give you a free dns hosting account to sign in with instead of an external ip which will change when the lease is up. Then in your splashtop app you would enter the dyndns host like 'homecomputer.dyndns.org' and it will connect to your desktop flawlessly as long as your computer is on and running!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bummer...I guess no way am I using the app away from home. I do not have a static IP and the rest of the directions are beyond my ability. The whole gmail sign in was about as far up the foodchain of computer knowledge that I have. :( Thanks for the info though

bastono

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Solution from extendedforecast should be the best way to connect with dynamic IP. My setup is the same like his, by utilizing dyndns on my router. It's not as difficult as it sounds. There's detail setup info on Splashtop support page as well as on dyndns.com's website. Give it a try.

Reaction score

Support Our Troops!

But where do I do on my computer. Sorry to be so dense but I am new to the Ipad2. I brought up the remote on my computer but I don't know what to changeto make it work on other wi-fi's. Twice now I have made my husband take me to a strange wi-fi to try this! ha Starbucks thinks I am a stalker because I don't like coffee only their wi-fi
Don't know why my iPad flipped the photos but in the first I've circled the Splashtop icon on my desktop. Click it and when the screen comes up click settings, then click experimental. Fill in info on the next screen and check enable.
Hope that helps
When I set my Splashtop up on my desktop it assigned a static ip address to and my router and a port so I guess the other methods described in above posts would work as well.

Support Our Troops!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306941591.828229.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306941591.828229.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 358
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306941609.192485.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306941609.192485.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 344

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try www.portforward.com. They have a good tutorial. It really isn't as hard as it sounds. We can talk you through it.

Basically to get to router controls...on your computer from your home network type its internal IP address into internet explorer or firefox or whatever you use for a browser. It should be http://192.168.1.1 as this is the address most routers assign to themselves. There is a log in screen. You may have to check the website of the manufacturer of the router or its manual but the stock login is usually something like admin and 'password' for the password. Mine was 'admin' for both user name and password (You can change that in the user or access control section if you want to but don't have to. As long as house guests on your wi fi won't be messing with your router! Lol)

In the controls menu you just need to change 2 things.

The first is to give your computer a permenant address on your home network. There should be a selection for DHCP. Click on that and look for something like 'clients list' or 'address reservation.' (If you see both go to address reservation.) You need to add a new reserved address for the computer you'll be using splashtop with. When you click add new you'll need to know and enter your computer's MAC address and current internal IP address. Honestly the best way to get this info is to download from the app store a free app called Overlook Fing. Start that app up and you'll immediately see a map of your network. Find you computer you will be using splashtop with. You can really do this by manufacturer which shows on the right hand side of the screen. If you have a lot of stuff on your network, like printers, ipods or cell phones turn them all off except the splashtop computer and restart the Fing app to make it easier (My Dell says Intel Corporate and my HP says Hewlitt Packard.) Once you found it you'll see 2 numbers on the left. The top one with the dashes and letters is the MAC address (the computers physical fingerprint.) And the bottom with the periods is the internal IP addresss. Go back to your computer and the router DHCP reserve address section and use those two numbers (enter the MAC and internal IP) to set up a reserved IP for your splashtop connected computer.

The second thing you are looking for is something like 'port forwards' 'forwarding' or 'virtual server.' (On mine its Forwarding with a drop down menu to Virtual Server.)
In this screen you add the forward. So hit the 'add new' button. In the area that says 'service port' enter 6783-6785 (you'll notice that 6783 appears on the splashtop computer side software but it also says it uses a 3 port range so you have to forward all three.) In the section that says 'internal port' just leave that blank. Where is aska you for IP address, enter the IP that you just made permenant for your computer. Where there is a protocol selection...set it to TCP. (If there is something that says 'common service port' just ignore it. Splashtop is the service and you setting it up manually because its not in that list.)

The last step is to add an exception to your software firewall. I use MacAfee but they are all different so you may have to poke around. Go to the firewall section and find some place to add an exception or open a port. You'll probably see a list of at least a dozen ports already open somewhere with a place to add a new one. Since these software firewalls override the windows firewall you should be ok configuring just this. But when you fibd the section you are loking for you basically put in the same information you just did. Add the TCP protocol...enter the three port range 6783-6785 give it a nickname like Splashtop and save it. Post what software firewall you use (Ie MacAfee, Norton, TrendMicro) and I can give better instructions for this part.

Now...on your splashtop app you can enter your home computers external ip address. Note this isn't the same as the internal one you made permenant in the DCHP section. Go to www.whatismyip.com and copy that number into the IP address section of the splashtop app. If you set a password on the splashtop software on the computer then enter it here under your computers IP address. Give it a nickname like Computer on Remote Network or something. You can now connect reliably from any network (just make sure the splashtop reciever software on the computer is running!) You can test this if you have 3g iPad just by switching to 3g. Otherwise its back to starbucks!

Last edited:

extendedforecast

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more thing...most people don't have a static external IP from.their internet and cable company because it usually costs a bit more a month. So anytime you want to connect to your home computer from another network you will have to go to www.whatismyip.com to check and verify your computers external IP address. If it changes, you will have to change it in your splashtop application as well or it wont connect. You can get around this with a dynamic dns host though! Its easy and free!

First check if your router supports dynamic dns. Go back into your router controls by going to http://192.168.1.1 on your browser and signing in. Find a section in the menus that says Dynamic Dns. If you see it this means your router suports dynamic dns and you are all good!

So now go to www.dyndns.com and sign up for a free account. (Just remember your user name and password you are setting up cuz you'll need it in a minute.)Add a new host to your account. It can be whatever you want in the first part like 'homecomputer' and then pick a suffix from the dropdown menu. So say you pick 'homecomputer.dyndns.com' (be aware some popular hosts may already be taken so it may take you a couple tries. Under service type make sure host with IP address is selected. In the box that says IP address: enter your external IP address from www.whatismyip.com or just click on the underlined 'current ip' link which will automatically save your info. You can leave the other stuff blank. Now click set up at the bottom and you should be ready to go back to your router.

Go to the router controls again at http://192.168.1.1 and click on the dynamic dns section. If there is a section for 'service provider' set it to www.dyndns.org. now enter the user name and password and the hostname (homecomputer.dyndns.com) you just set up. If there's a box that says 'enable'make sure that is checked or set to enabled. Now click login. It should tell you your login succeeded. If not....let me know....or check for typos and try again. Now hit save and you are ready.

Go to the splashtop app and add a new computer. Under IP address enter the dyndns hostmame so 'homecomputer.dyndns.com' Remember that the password section of the splashtop app always refers to the password set up on the splashtop reciever software on the computer. If that doesn't have a password set up then you don't need to enter anything else on your splashtop app. If it does, enter the password set up on you splashtop computer software not the one from the dynamic dns account. Give it a nick name like 'my computer remote' or whatever and test it out. If you have 3g ipad you can just flip to that. Or go to starbucks again (I know you're loaded with caffine at this point!) And it should connect.

Just always remember to keep the splashtop software running on your computer. If that is not on...nothing will connect.

I applaud splashtop for their efforts with the gmail sign in part....but unlike the expirimental gmail tunnel this set up is totally reliable. As long as your computer is running and the splashtop software is on you can connect from anywhere in the world there is internet!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts