Splashtop on a different network

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by jamesmckeephx, May 31, 2011.

1. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I got it all setup for using at home and works awesome. But how do I get on my computer when iam on a different wifi? Would be awesome to access when iam out and about.

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

2. darthluke12694

darthluke12694
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You need to go on the computer you want to connect to, and get the IP address from it. Then go to your app. I think in the top right hand corner you click something to manually add a computer. Type in the IP address, and it should work. The only problem I had is that it didn't save the computer after I closed the app. Maybe I missed a save option, I don't know.

3. jmorton10

jmorton10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:

4. jamesmckeephx

jamesmckeephx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Unless you have that computer set up with a static ip address, it will be constantly changing.[/QUOTE]

How do you do that?

Sent from my evo on tapatalk

5. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Sign into your Gmail on the desktop and Ipad app under experimental settings. It somehow links via the Gmail account when away from the home wifi

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

6. jmorton10

jmorton10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I was just reading their support page and it said to turn on "Internet discovery feature" in both the app and the streamer (only works in windows however)

7. nicki8801

nicki8801
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I just went and did the experimental and gmail thing at a different wi-fi place and I got the green check marks but it did not work. Do I have to do something at my home computer before I go? I took the directions with me from their webpage and it did not say anything else to do but what I did. help I sure hope I can get this to work. Cool app

8. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You have to do the same thing on the desktop. It only needs to be done once.

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

9. nicki8801

nicki8801
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

But where do I do on my computer. Sorry to be so dense but I am new to the Ipad2. I brought up the remote on my computer but I don't know what to changeto make it work on other wi-fi's. Twice now I have made my husband take me to a strange wi-fi to try this! ha Starbucks thinks I am a stalker because I don't like coffee only their wi-fi

10. extendedforecast

extendedforecast
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The gmail expirimental sign in isn't very reliable. Its completely touch and go.

The best way to do this is to go into your routers controls and set up a port forward for the three ports that Spashtop uses and forward the connection to your desktop/laptop internal IP. If your router uses DHCP to assign internal IPs then you'll need to reserve a permenant one for your desktop (like 192.168.1.100.)

If you don't have a static IP address from your internet/cable company and if your router supports it - you can sign up for dynamic dns (www.dyndns.com) which will give you a free dns hosting account to sign in with instead of an external ip which will change when the lease is up. Then in your splashtop app you would enter the dyndns host like 'homecomputer.dyndns.org' and it will connect to your desktop flawlessly as long as your computer is on and running!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

#10 extendedforecast, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011