What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specialty messenger bag for laptop, iPad, Kindle and iPhone

MichaelBluth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the people I work with travel very frequently, and the other week they were talking about they often carry a laptop, a Kindle, a smartphone and an iPad and how its a pain. It gave me an idea to make a laptop bag that would have pockets sized to fit all of your electronic items and the cords and accessories. I did some looking around online and didn't find any products that claimed they were specifically for this purpose, although obviously there are a lot of bags out there that would work.

So my question is, would creating a specialty bag targeted at frequent business travelers who carry a lot of consumer electronics fill a niche that isn't really being served right now? Or is it a really dumb idea?

If I did this I would create a higher end bag, probably in the $150-$300 range. I know someone who owns a large shop that I have worked with in the past that can easily manufacture this. I've already talked to him and he's interested in the project. So I'm not worried about production issues.

Obviously I would do a lot of serious research before actually going forward with this, but first I'm interested in seeing what the forum thinks.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not a bad idea! I'm known for carrying a huge purse that I can just throw everything in and go (have kids and a hubby who seem to think it's a bag of magic, I can just about produce anything out of it).

Right now, I just toss everything in there - iPad, charging cables, iPhone, sometimes my mini, etc. So stuff is just everywhere cluttered. A bag with compartments for each item would be interesting, no more cords tangled up!

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
I will say this. While waiting the week for my MacBook Pro 17" to be delivered, I spent hours trying to find the right bag. I surfed more sites than I can remember. One of the sites that may be of interest to look through and make sure you don't just become "yet another bag" among thousands of others is eBags - Largest Selection Of Handbags, Backpacks, Luggage & More - eBags. I ended up custom making mine from Need a case or bag for your laptop, tablet, mobile device, or gadget? We've got you covered - WaterField Design - Made in USA using their Laptop Sleeve as the base.

Check that site out and see if that is what you are looking at doing.

EllWieger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These are usually not buisness style bags, but I have found many sleeves and bags made to carry ipads and e-readers on etsy.com. They are all handmade, and most stores you can work with the seller to customize. Like I said though, they are more artsy and crafty type stuff, not really the standard executive look. I bet what you are thinking of would fill an entirely different niche.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
Etsy is nice, and I looked there, however what happens down the road if something happens to the bag. Etsy is mostly individuals who are selling their wares and most (that I looked at) offer no warranty or guarantee on their product. Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of friends who have things for sale on Etsy and they do good work. But it is like going to an art/craft show.

That is one of the things I loved about the sfbags.com is that you can customize your bag (I started with the laptop sleeve) and trick it out easily. And there was a warranty.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't mean to discourage you, Michael. In fact, you've identified a niche I'm in. If you're serious, I'd second the recommendation above to take a look at Waterfield Design. Not as a way to rip off their designs, but as a way to explore your potential competition. Their bags are extremely durable, very good looking, and at about the price point you've identified.

If they've left a potential gap for competition, I'd say it's probably in terms of designs that appeal specifically to women. If you can design a bag that competes well with Waterfield in terms of flexibility, capacity, and durability and is especially appealing to women, you may have a market.

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The perfect bag is only the perfect bag as long as both the hardware and the requirements don't change. My wife and I both have perfect bags to carry out iPads and related things - both bags are different.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MichaelBluth said:
Some of the people I work with travel very frequently, and the other week they were talking about they often carry a laptop, a Kindle, a smartphone and an iPad and how its a pain. It gave me an idea to make a laptop bag that would have pockets sized to fit all of your electronic items and the cords and accessories. I did some looking around online and didn't find any products that claimed they were specifically for this purpose, although obviously there are a lot of bags out there that would work.

So my question is, would creating a specialty bag targeted at frequent business travelers who carry a lot of consumer electronics fill a niche that isn't really being served right now? Or is it a really dumb idea?

If I did this I would create a higher end bag, probably in the $150-$300 range. I know someone who owns a large shop that I have worked with in the past that can easily manufacture this. I've already talked to him and he's interested in the project. So I'm not worried about production issues.

Obviously I would do a lot of serious research before actually going forward with this, but first I'm interested in seeing what the forum thinks.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users. It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
M

MichaelBluth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Its been a year since I posted my idea, and in the meantime I went ahead and designed my bag. My first prototype was just completed. I'm going to make some changes to it, but I'm interested in getting feedback from the iPad Forum. This will hold a 17" laptop, and the front 2 pockets are for the iPad and Kindle. Please let me know what you think!<br><br><div>
file0002u.jpg
</div><div><br></div><div>
file0012j.jpg
</div><div><br></div><div>
file0001fr.jpg
</div>

Bartholemew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MichaelBluth said:
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Its been a year since I posted my idea, and in the meantime I went ahead and designed my bag. My first prototype was just completed. I'm going to make some changes to it, but I'm interested in getting feedback from the iPad Forum. This will hold a 17" laptop, and the front 2 pockets are for the iPad and Kindle. Please let me know what you think!<br><br><div></div><div><br></div><div></div><div><br></div><div></div>

Looks good! Great job! I hope you do well with it! How about an iPhone pocket? May as well!

OP
M

MichaelBluth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good! Great job! I hope you do well with it! How about an iPhone pocket? May as well!

You could put an iPhone in one of the inside pockets. I thought about putting one on the outside, but figured most people keep their phone in their pocket instead of in a bag. Maybe I need to rethink that?

Most reactions