What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speaker/headset plug input volume problem

j_fern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When i use my ipad using my speaker or headset i clearly have a sound, but when i unplugged it there is none i was thinking maybe i have to sync the updated apps to my itunes? right now am listening to a radio station using the speakers, i decided to unplugged the speakers and holla! Same old story no sound at all.

Sent from my iPad

KEmac72

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j_fern said:
When i use my ipad using my speaker or headset i clearly have a sound, but when i unplugged it there is none i was thinking maybe i have to sync the updated apps to my itunes? right now am listening to a radio station using the speakers, i decided to unplugged the speakers and holla! Same old story no sound at all.

Sent from my iPad

I'm having the same issues have you figured anything out?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes you unplug a speaker or headphones and it sends the volume down to zero. Try manually adjusting volume from the control bar at the bottom. If that doesn't work, maybe someone else can offer insight.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you try to adjust the volume (without the headset or speakers plugged in) what does it do? If it says 'headset' above the icon when adjusting it still thinks you are jacked in. Bad news this. It's hard to make it go away.

BTW, it keeps a different volume adjustment for both the headset and internal speakers. Adjusting one does not adjust the other.

Also make sure you are not muted. This should not affect the iPod app, but some third party apps will must music and audio (even though they should not) when mute is on. Mute is either set with the switch above your volume rocker, or in the Multitask bar (double tap the home key then swipe left to right for the controls).

You can change this in Settings > General > Use Side Switch to: Whatever it's not set to is what the Multitask bar is set to.

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, some apps cause sound to "pause" when headphones/speakers are unplugged. Might check that.

KWEIGAND

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having the same problem, it indeed says "headphone" over my volume bar... Even if its hard to make it go away, I really want it to work. HELP!

When you try to adjust the volume (without the headset or speakers plugged in) what does it do? If it says 'headset' above the icon when adjusting it still thinks you are jacked in. Bad news this. It's hard to make it go away.

BTW, it keeps a different volume adjustment for both the headset and internal speakers. Adjusting one does not adjust the other.

Also make sure you are not muted. This should not affect the iPod app, but some third party apps will must music and audio (even though they should not) when mute is on. Mute is either set with the switch above your volume rocker, or in the Multitask bar (double tap the home key then swipe left to right for the controls).

You can change this in Settings > General > Use Side Switch to: Whatever it's not set to is what the Multitask bar is set to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am having the same problem, it indeed says "headphone" over my volume bar... Even if its hard to make it go away, I really want it to work. HELP!

It's hard to fix because it's a hardware problem. I googled it a few months back when my iPhone did this, and the general consensus seems to be dust in the headphone jack; especially if it has a chance to get damp and cling. I never did hear of a sure way of dealing with it, and I don't recommend sticking stuff down the headphone jack to clean it.

Some people had luck by just plugging and unplugging their headsets repeatedly. And tried this and air (a dry computer air blower). Nothing worked, and then the next morning it was working again. So I don't have a solution for you, nor do I remember anyone posting a solid solution.

Google it, or contact Apple. They may have a suggestion. If the iPad is less than a year old (or you have Apple Care) you're still in warrantee and they may replace it if it can not be fixed.

KWEIGAND

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the insights. If Apple offers a solution I will be sure to share it. Thanks again!

Quoc22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey my FaceTime in my iPad 2 isn't working can someone please help

Most reactions

Latest posts