1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Source for internal gps antennae?

Discussion in 'iPad DIY' started by Rokr, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Rokr

Rokr iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 32gb ipad and from what I've heard, read, figured, etc it can accomodate an internal gps antennae from a 3g+wifi model. Any idea where to source something like this from (diy repair site or something) or am I better off looking for a broken 3g+wifi model to steal it from?

Rokr
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    A WiFi iPad cannot receive GPS. The RF (radio frequency) circuitry required to receive GPS is at a similar frequency to that used by 3G. As a result, the chip (semiconductor) manufacturers incorporated this RF circuitry into the 3G chip set and associated electronics. Therefore it is not possible for a WiFi iPad to receive GPS - but you can get external units that connect to the iPad.

Tim
  3. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,003 / 1