What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sounds for email

SusanSinclair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have lost the sounds for email - no swoosh when I sent or alert when theres a new message. I checked Settings and sound is on and Classic and Swoosh are ticked on the list.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have lost the sounds for email - no swoosh when I sent or alert when theres a new message. I checked Settings and sound is on and Classic and Swoosh are ticked on the list.

Do you have sounds for everything else? If no, have you checked to make sure you haven't accidentally muted your iPad?

If yes, try the old standard of fully closing the Mail app and then restarting or resetting (or both) the iPad. To do (apologies if you know):

Fully Close an App: Double tap the Home button (or do a 4-finger swipe up) to reveal a row of icons in the multi-tasking bar. Press and hold an icon until they all start to wiggle and you see a red circle with a minus sign ("-") in the top left. Press the minus sign to fully close the app. Don't worry, it won't remove the app from your iPad, just from the iPad's resident memory.

Then...
Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

If that doesn't help, try this last step...

Reset: Hold both the power and home buttons until the screen goes dark and the Apple logo then appears (the slide to unlock screen may or may not appear). Once the logo appears, release the buttons. After a time, your homescreen will appear. Please note that it may take some time for the Apple logo to appear or for your homescreen to appear (or both). This is normal. Eventually, the homescreen will appear.

Hopefully, that'll sort it. If not, holler back and we'll take another try at it.

Marilyn

OP
S

SusanSinclair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i can get taskbar icons to wiggle but no minus sign. Ive had minus sign in the past so dont understand why i cant make jt happen this time

OP
S

SusanSinclair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Other sounds work - i tried Youtube. cant get the minus sign to show so i tried the reset as you suggest in last oara. I got the apple logo and waited for icons to reappear. But still no sound on emails.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your software is up to date, you don't get the - to remove apps from the multitask bar. It will look like this, and to delete the apps there, swipe the thumbnails towards the top of the screen:

image-1421784224.jpg

What did you choose for your side switch? If it's "Mute", then look at the switch. Maybe that's the reason for your problem.

PCWIlliams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
ipadclasses.org
I had the same problem with my iPad once before and it seemed to only happen when my battery was 40% or below. So it might be a battery issue for you if that's what is happening but I just did hard reset and it fixed the problem. Give that a try and see if that helps.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Mute settings does not affect music or sounds in most apps. It's only intended to affect system sounds, alarms, alerts, etc. The idea is that your iPad won't make unexpected sounds when you are at a meeting or other place that it might be inappropriate.

This is why YouTube may work just fine when the iPad is muted, but the Mail swoosh, keyboard clicks, and other sounds won't.

Most reactions