What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound working only in earphones, not speakers on iPad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just bought my iPad in the US and it was working perfectly. Back to Brazil today (where the iPad 3 is not available for purchase) I realized the sound was only working for alerts, but when tried to use apps, youtube or even my videos, there is no sound. Curiously, I plugged in my headphone and the sound works normally.

I've already tried the mute/rotation button, changed its setting, and nothing happened - still only have sound through my headphones. As I bought my iPad in Houston and am far from it, I count on you guys expertise helping me out with this.

Ps: my os is the 5.1 but a friend of mine told me these bugs happen with the gadget is new and, as soft updates are released, it tends to be fixed. But as Im not all sure of that, Im pretty anxious to find the cause and fix it up.

Many thanks!!

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The sound volume settings for the headphones is different than the volume setting for the internal speakers.
Things I would try are, checking the volume setting without headphones attached by double clicking the home button and sliding the running in the background apps section to the right to show the volume and brightness sliders. Slide the volume to the right if it is not already.
I'd also take a look at how many apps are running in the background. Again, double click the home button to show the apps running in the background. Press and hold one of the background running apps until it starts to wiggle. A red circle with a white minus sign will show up. Touch the minus sign on each of the icons to stop the apps. - who knows, one of the running apps may have shanghaied the external speakers and wouldn't release them.
Another thing I'd try after closing all of the running apps, if the speakers still don't work, is to shut down the iPad and restart it fresh. Press and hold the power switch (on the top) until the red slider appears. Slide the red slider to turn off the iPad. It may take about thirty seconds. Once it is off, turn the iPad back on by pressing the power button for about two seconds. The white Apple logo will appear while the device is initialized for operation. When my iPad starts acting up I shut it down and start it again.
Best of luck getting the sound to come back up.

Sent from my iPad using iPF - Peace

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Hope your issue is now fixed after Fid's great advice!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
2 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
O

Omm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

Thank ya'll for the help.

Fid,
From your answer I discovered this volume bar afterdouble clicking on home and sliding the down bar to the right.
The only thing is that on volume control there isn't any level available to slide to the left or to the right, as saying, the volume seems to be off and I can't level it.
I've checked on the iPad's side mute button and that seems not to be it.
Could there be any key locking the volume level to be on?

Many many thanks again!!

OP
O

Omm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to add to the mesage, the volume level control only works when I attach the headphone to it, if I put out the headphone the volume leveler disapears, as the sound... :(

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Omm said:
Just to add to the mesage, the volume level control only works when I attach the headphone to it, if I put out the headphone the volume leveler disapears, as the sound... :(

These headphones you're using, do they have a sound control on them at all? Do you stop whatever you are playing first before you take the headphones out? As this can cause no sound on the iPad also. You haven't by any chance used a BT keyboard at any time as they have a mute switch on them also?

I would try a reset of your iPad here. This will not change anything on your iPad and is akin to rebooting a PC.
Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start. Do this and let us know how it goes.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a sound bug unsure if it this will help you but only takes a minute.

From Settings/General change the side switch property from lock rotation to mute.

Now mute the iPad via the side switch.

Now unmute via the side switch.

Now test to see if problem is resolved.

This problem usually manifests as alert sounds working, in app sounds (games, etc) not working after upgrade to V5.1

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
O

Omm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
There is a sound bug unsure if it this will help you but only takes a minute.

From Settings/General change the side switch property from auto rotate to mute.

Now mute the iPad via the side switch.

Now unmute via the side switch.

Now test to see if problem is resolved.

This problem usually manifests as alert sounds working, in app sounds (games, etc) not working after upgrade to V5.1

Good luck.

Hi Midranger,

Unfortunately didn't solve the problem. I've done and repeated it but it didn't make it. My ipad is the 3rd generation, and updated with the 5.1.1 ios

Do you think this can be a bug that disapears as new future ios versions are updated? As the speakers work when I try the settings of alert sounds, I wonder this is not a hardware issue - I hope!

Thanks!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Omm said:
Hi Midranger,

Unfortunately didn't solve the problem. I've done and repeated it but it didn't make it. My ipad is the 3rd generation, and updated with the 5.1.1 ios

Do you think this can be a bug that disapears as new future ios versions are updated? As the speakers work when I try the settings of alert sounds, I wonder this is not a hardware issue - I hope!

Thanks!

You have alert sounds but no in app sound right? Did this start when you moved to 5.1.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
courtesy Traceygee

Adding another thing to try.

I have an iPad that had sound for iTunes and movie playback only, and all other apps, including games, had zero sounds after the update. I did have lock sounds, but no keyboard sounds even though those were both set on.

I rebooted several times, did the toggle on the mute switch as suggested and nothing.

I went into the "sounds" area on settings. Toggled both the lock sounds and keyboard sounds OFF, did a reboot, then went back in and toggled both lock sounds and keyboard sounds ON. This brought back not only my keyboard sounds, but also the sounds on all my games and apps. It's worth a try if the other things don't help.
Like (0)

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check MUSIC/VOLUME LIMIT.

Set to NO if set to YES

Check For the volume slider again by double tapping home button and swiping right.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been reading every post I can find on this subject.

I do not mean to be insulting so please bear with me.

When you checked the general setting what was the use side switch set to (lock rotation or mute) and what is it set to now?

Set property to mute....then flip side switch to mute position ( you will see a red dot appear on the switch when you do).

Now unmute

Now test.

The switch should be set to no mute (with no red dot visible) before changing the general setting.

If this fix doesn't work the only other causes I've located is a dirty pin number 21 on the ipad port (google clean pin 21) or hardware failure on the heaphone jack...both highly unusual.

Syepye

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No sound iPad 3

Tried all suggestions to no avail..... Then after going into Settings - music - and turning every heading on off on and changing Equaliser settings back and forth, when I retried music I got sound back!!! What's going on there????

lizziewsj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have the same issue. My ipad is only playing sounds when connected to the headphones and have tried all of the above with no success. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts