What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound Notification with Locked Screen

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having upgraded from ipad4 to IPad Pro how do `I get a notification sound with all of my messaging systems,...email in,iMessages in, etc.....,when my iPad is locked(black screen)?

My sound notification seems only to appear when I select email,after opening iPad?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You’ll have to select this in Settings - Notifications. Enable “Show on Lock Screen” for every app that should notify you when your iPad is locked.
4C2DEF12-A096-47C4-B93C-26A5BE1F79FC.jpeg

For the Mail app, you’ll have to do this for every email account separately (Settings - Notifications - Mail).

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you,...but I think I already had them enabled!...If enabled is there any reason why sound notification would not work?
Otherwise I will have to take more notice of this feature.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, make sure you do not have Change with Buttons turned on under Settings Sounds, and that the volume is set where you want it. This prevents you from turning down notification/alarm sounds when you adjust the volume for other things like games or music.

A2917B7E-3735-43EC-890C-5AD856F01D68.jpeg

And, of course, make sure you have not muted the iPad. Mute only turns off alarms/notifications. It does not effect music or games (at least it isn’t supposed to).

09811171-3481-4777-AEA6-6270C9E687BE.jpeg

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at and tried all suggestions,but still unable to produce sound for incoming email?......can only get email sound when I open inboxes and then get notification.

I have looked at setting on my wife’s iPad and compared but all appear to be the same,yet she gets email notification sound.

I feel there is something basic,...but can’t find it!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That sounds like your Mail is only updating when Mail is launched.

Go to Account & Passwords > Fetch New Data and checkout your settings.
  • Push is best, but not all account types will do Push. With Push your email account pushes emails to the iPad, instead of waiting for the iPad to check for them.
  • Fetch can be either Automatic, or Timed (every 15, 30, or 60 minutes). Note that Automatic means email is only fetched when the iPad is plugged into power and has wi-fi.
  • Manual means the iPad only updates the email account when the Mail app is oppened or refreshed (pull down on the email list).
586B99E0-B81F-4CCF-BABC-13AE070C0454.jpeg

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you,
Have checked....Push enabled
All accounts selected to Fetch,except Outlook,iCloud =Push
Fetch....set to Automatically (should this be 15mins)

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additional info..
Tried an email to my iCloud account and this works ok....does this help?

OP
N

Nael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further info...
Changed Automatically to 15 mins,...and can now get sound with email...does this make sense?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As I pointed out, Automatically only works when the iPad is plugged into power, and has a wi-fi connection. I do not know how often it checks, but I would guess it’s more frequent than 15 minutes. Frequently enough that Apple believes it would impact your battery and cellular usage; thus the limitations.

I use Automatic, but since only my secondary accounts are set to Fetch, I don’t care if I get timely notifications for them. My iCloud account is Push, so notifications are quick. Even then, I have my email notifications turned off for all but my VIP contacts.

I find the constant barage of notifications irritating, especially spam and/or other unimportant ads and newletters.

Most reactions